Request for feedback: the upcoming season

Mar 15, 2013, 4:03 PM EDT

YOF_083

Hey all.

HardballTalk is about to enter its fifth season of covering this wonderful little game, and because I’m both bored this afternoon and interested in some interaction, I’m asking for some feedback about anything specific you’d like to see as far as regular season coverage goes.

Not that we’re planning on any radical changes. Indeed, we’re basically of an “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” mindset around here. But if there are daily or weekly features you think that would make life great for you, make an argument for them in the comments or hit us up at the “Feedback” button on the upper righthand corder of the main page.

In the past we’ve done power rankings, but those got stale. We often do look aheads to the night’s action, but not always. We obviously do the morning And That Happened/Settling the Scores stuff. But if there’s anything else you’d like to see from us, we’re listening. We may not do it because this ain’t a democracy, but we are listening. And stealing your ideas and claiming them as our own.

As the guy who does the And That Happeneds, a question/request for info: how many of you read it between 6AM and 8AM Eastern? How many of you save it for later? I ask because, as I often do at the beginning of the season, I’m thinking about how best to make that somewhat labor-intensive feature work for you guys and for me.

One thought I had was pushing it a tad later — say 8AM Eastern or so. Doing so would make my evenings much easier as I usually begin composing it as the games finish up. But it’s not just a convenience thing. If I started working on it in the morning when I woke up, I’d be able to see more highlights and read after game quotes before writing, and that may lead to a bit more insight, jokes and stuff. If the real point is having a post — any post — up at 6AM for you guys to crack wise in, I could maybe do something highlighting one specific/fun/random thing from the previous night as a placeholder until ATH is done. Just spitballin’.

I’m really kind of agnostic about it all. On the one hand, I know a lot of you read that post first thing in the morning. On the other hand, I sometimes worry that fatigue and things make it lose some momentum in the middle of the season.  I’m really just looking for your comments.

Thanks, all. Sixteen days until Opening Day!

141 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. thebadguyswon - Mar 15, 2013 at 8:20 PM

I would say a little less “beating of the dead horse”. Sometimes it seems like topics get completely beaten to the ground. Hardball Talk got more mileage out of a couple topics that will go unnamed. I know its about controversy and that drives hits, but it reeks of unprofessionalism.

• okwhitefalcon - Mar 15, 2013 at 9:40 PM

- An EDIT function

– No soccer references

– No pictures of food of self portraits or anything remotely facebooky.

• manchestermiracle - Mar 16, 2013 at 11:05 AM

There is, and always has been, a fine edit function: It’s called reading back over your post BEFORE you stab the “post comment” button. Your pithy (in your own mind, anyway) comeback to that moronic (in your own opinion, anyway) comment from that doofus you hate will still be (kinda) funny and will have much more impact if you take the time to read what you wrote before you post it. C’mon, guys, it ain’t that hard.

• stercuilus65 - Mar 18, 2013 at 3:06 AM

Mabchester, physician heal thyself…

2. anxovies - Mar 15, 2013 at 9:04 PM

What I would like to see, being a very lazy person, is to have the scrolling panel at the top, or whatever you call it, show up when the site opens. The way it works now is that you have to open the first article, which you probably have no interest in, to get to the page where you can scroll through the different blogs and see something you are interested in reading. My internet can be slow at times so it is a little annoying to have to wait for something that I probably won’t read. Since this goes to web design I don’t suppose that’s the kind of stuff you are asking for, but there it is. Other than that I’m fine with everything.

3. lewp - Mar 16, 2013 at 6:37 AM

I sent this suggestion to feedback, but I would propose an over-night editor to simply get all the games in one post. Maybe not on the scale of ATH, but close to it. At least then, if someone wants to read the results at 4:00 AM, they don’t have to complain about the left coast and having to wait for results. I would be happy to volunteer said service as I’m a night-owl anyway.

4. mj1818 - Mar 16, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Lets go Bucs!

5. shauninri - Mar 16, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Craig,

I really like ATH as part of my “before I leave for work” ritual. I’m generally out of the house by 7 AM, so I greatly apprecitate your early morning sacrifice in putting ATH together. I could always just check the scores and box scores but I enjoy your write-ups of the games as one of my baseball season rituals.

I enjoy reading posts from the whole HBT crew and have enjoued the newcomers have brought to the table. Now if only you and Aaron could add a daily podcast to replace ESPNs recently demised “Baseball Today” show.

6. 4d3fect - Mar 16, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Reminds me of an exchange quite a few years back. Me tweaking my computer. Video card install or something.

Dad: “Is it working?”

Me: “yes, but-”

Dad: “Then why are you fixing it?”

7. stercuilus65 - Mar 18, 2013 at 3:04 AM

No more Craig outrage at perceived “homophobes”, “racists”, “sabemetricphobes” or PED “moralists”..

I know it would cut out about 75% of his angry scribblings but it would help him grow as a writer.

8. foreverchipper10 - Mar 18, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Hire me.

9. cardsfanandi - Mar 18, 2013 at 12:47 PM

The only thing that might be helpful is a side panel for teams, or even just divisions, so you can pull up posts portaining to your team. When I’m scanning through quickly before I have time to read through a lot of posts, I always think it’d be nice to have.

And I agree with more Joe Pos and some longer posts thrown in! I really enjoyed his post about the closer role, and I always like to see CC’s longer posts (trolls gotta troll, ya know?). Keep up the good work. I always love the extra little bits of info you can find here rather than just reading the scores.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. M. Cuddyer (3202)