Request for feedback: the upcoming season

Mar 15, 2013, 4:03 PM EDT

YOF_083

Hey all.

HardballTalk is about to enter its fifth season of covering this wonderful little game, and because I’m both bored this afternoon and interested in some interaction, I’m asking for some feedback about anything specific you’d like to see as far as regular season coverage goes.

Not that we’re planning on any radical changes. Indeed, we’re basically of an “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” mindset around here. But if there are daily or weekly features you think that would make life great for you, make an argument for them in the comments or hit us up at the “Feedback” button on the upper righthand corder of the main page.

In the past we’ve done power rankings, but those got stale. We often do look aheads to the night’s action, but not always. We obviously do the morning And That Happened/Settling the Scores stuff. But if there’s anything else you’d like to see from us, we’re listening. We may not do it because this ain’t a democracy, but we are listening. And stealing your ideas and claiming them as our own.

As the guy who does the And That Happeneds, a question/request for info: how many of you read it between 6AM and 8AM Eastern? How many of you save it for later? I ask because, as I often do at the beginning of the season, I’m thinking about how best to make that somewhat labor-intensive feature work for you guys and for me.

One thought I had was pushing it a tad later — say 8AM Eastern or so. Doing so would make my evenings much easier as I usually begin composing it as the games finish up. But it’s not just a convenience thing. If I started working on it in the morning when I woke up, I’d be able to see more highlights and read after game quotes before writing, and that may lead to a bit more insight, jokes and stuff. If the real point is having a post — any post — up at 6AM for you guys to crack wise in, I could maybe do something highlighting one specific/fun/random thing from the previous night as a placeholder until ATH is done. Just spitballin’.

I’m really kind of agnostic about it all. On the one hand, I know a lot of you read that post first thing in the morning. On the other hand, I sometimes worry that fatigue and things make it lose some momentum in the middle of the season.  I’m really just looking for your comments.

Thanks, all. Sixteen days until Opening Day!

Latest Posts
  1. Wily Peralta out at least four weeks with oblique strain

May 25, 2015, 6:09 PM EDT

NEW YORK, NY - MAY 17:  Wily Peralta #38 of the Milwaukee Brewers pitches against the New York Mets during their game at Citi Field on May 17, 2015 in New York City.  (Photo by Al Bello/Getty Images) Getty Images

Brewers manager Craig Counsell said today that right-hander Wily Peralta will miss at least four weeks with an oblique strain.

2. Great Moments in Memorial Day Tributes

May 25, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT

American Flag

When I think solemn remembrance of the military dead, I definitely think John Kruk and Curt Schilling in weird jerseys.

3. Another potential cable deal could mean more Dodgers games on TV in southern California soon

May 25, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT

dodgers logo

Dodgers fans have been through this before, but hope is hope.

4. Broken finger sends James Loney to Rays’ disabled list

May 25, 2015, 3:55 PM EDT

james loney getty Getty Images

Loney was hitting .275 with two homers and a .698 OPS in 30 games.

5. John Farrell calls for an approved substance pitchers can use for a better grip

May 25, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT

Boston Red Sox manager John Farrell surveys the field before his team takes on the Baltimore Orioles in an MLB American League baseball game in Baltimore

He thinks it’s silly that guys are risking 8-10 game suspensions for doing something everyone does and everyone thinks is sensible.

6. Travis Ishikawa designated for assignment by the Giants

May 25, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT

travis ishikawa getty Getty Images

Ishikawa started (out of position in left field) for the Giants during last year’s World Series-winning playoff run.

7. A’s closer Sean Doolittle is ready to make his season debut

May 25, 2015, 2:10 PM EDT

Sean Doolittle AP

Doolittle is coming back from a partially torn rotator cuff.

8. Josh Hamilton is starting in left field and batting fifth for the Rangers today

May 25, 2015, 1:47 PM EDT

Josh Hamilton AP

Last time he started in left field and batted fifth for the Rangers? July 27, 2010.

9. Ben Zobrist rejoins the A’s a month after knee surgery

May 25, 2015, 1:15 PM EDT

Oakland Athletics v Houston Astros Getty Images

It might be too little too late for the A’s considering their 16-30 record.

10. Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels

May 25, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT

Mike Napoli

Mike Scioscia ran Mike Napoli out of Anaheim. Napoli has beaten the hell out of the Angels ever since.

11. Royals shut down Danny Duffy with shoulder injury

May 25, 2015, 10:41 AM EDT

Danny Duffy Getty Images

Initially the Royals planned to merely push back Duffy’s next start.

12. Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition

May 25, 2015, 8:10 AM EDT

Memorial Day

Do what you’d like this Memorial Day. Wave a flag. Protest a war. Get great deals at Mattress Wholesalers’ Crazy Memorial Day Sale. But remember that Memorial Day simultaneously is about none of those things and allows for all of those things.

13. Sonny Gray takes liner off of ankle, but is expected to make his next start

May 24, 2015, 11:35 PM EDT

Sonny Gray Sonny Gray

The struggling Athletics got a scare on Sunday when Sonny Gray was hit by a comebacker, but he’s expected to make his next start.

14. Jose Reyes expected to rejoin the Blue Jays on Monday

May 24, 2015, 10:25 PM EDT

Jose Reyes Jose Reyes

Veteran shortstop Jose Reyes will return to the Blue Jays on Monday after dealing with a cracked rib.

1. J. Hamilton (3987)