The Yankees sign Brennan Boesch

Mar 15, 2013, 5:40 PM EDT

brennan boesch getty Getty Images

The Tigers released Brennan Boesch on Wednesday. I told everyone who would listen that I’d be shocked if he wasn’t playing for a New York team — either one — by the close of business Thursday. I was only a day off, it seems, as the Yankees have just signed him to a a major league deal. Theoretically Boesch will compete with Ben Francisco and Juan Rivera for time in left field. Though I guess Rivera will be covering first base until Mark Teixeira comes back.

Boesch hit a mere .240 with 12 homers and a .659 OPS in 132 games last season. He was much better in 2011, posting an OPS of .799, but that was an average-heavy spike, suggesting that his 2012 and 2010 production is the better expectation going forward.

1. unclemosesgreen - Mar 15, 2013 at 5:41 PM

So I guess what you’re saying, since you’re a day late, is “Tase me Bro!”

2. drewsylvania - Mar 15, 2013 at 5:46 PM

He’ll probably hit 30 by bunting them over that Little League right field wall.

3. historiophiliac - Mar 15, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Yeeeeeeeeaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

Now, if the Mets will take Don Kelly…

Thank you, Craig, for our daily dose of Tigers awesomeness. <3

(I hope you're paying attention, Aaron.)

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 15, 2013 at 6:53 PM

It says here that Brandon Inge is going to lead the Pirates to the wild card, and Brennan Boesch will help the Yanks to the 2nd wild card spot in the AL. That short porch in right-center will lure baseballs from Boesch’s bat to the tune of 15 HR’s at home if he gets enough PT.

• historiophiliac - Mar 15, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Do it, Stanks!

4. proudlycanadian - Mar 15, 2013 at 5:52 PM

No surprise to me either. Boesch and Francisco are just what the Yankees need. Can’t wait to see them in pinstripes.

• mackie66 - Mar 16, 2013 at 12:23 PM

I thought you had to be at least 35 yr old to play for the Yankees? I am a Yank fan for many yrs, but is it my imagination or is the average age of the Yankee line between 35-40 yr old??

5. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Mar 15, 2013 at 6:01 PM

If Boesch is a major league deal, I suppose we will be seeing someone cut soon to make room on the 40. Dan Johnson ?

• jwbiii - Mar 15, 2013 at 7:32 PM

The Yankees have an opening on the 40 man. The squeeze will come when they decide how many of their NRIs they will keep: Ben Francisco, Juan Rivera, Dan Johnson, and Matt Diaz.

• guatdajel - Mar 15, 2013 at 11:16 PM

They put Pineda on the 60 day DL to make room.

6. datdangdrewdundunituhgin - Mar 15, 2013 at 6:17 PM

good luck to him. i think he may have some measure of success there if he can shorten up that looping swing. i always liked him as a platoon guy, but his defense wasn’t enough to warrant a roster spot here. he’s still young enough to carve out a decent niche, and the silly dimensions of that stadium says he’ll hit 25 HR even in a shared role.

7. obnoxioushack - Mar 15, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Such a new, original, clever take on the Yankee Stadium dimensions, drewsylvania!

• drewsylvania - Mar 15, 2013 at 9:11 PM

It’s not a “take”, it’s a fact.

8. weaselpuppy - Mar 15, 2013 at 6:46 PM

dude has a huge hole in his swing and isn’t very teachable. Iffy range and wild but decently strong arm….meh. He’s gonna frustrate the crap outta Yankee fans….he does play hatd and is quick to 1b for a big guy

9. randygnyc - Mar 15, 2013 at 8:24 PM

He’ll have to undergo a “Pauline conversion” if he hopes to get any playing time.

10. nflfollower - Mar 15, 2013 at 8:51 PM

He couldn’t pull out of his too frequent funks in Detroit where 90% of the fans love you regardless of production, but just because you wear that old English D. Something tells me he may struggle in NY as well, although I will be pulling for him. Plays hard, gives max effort every day but as previously mentioned, can be incredibly frustrating to the more than casual fan.

11. pisano - Mar 16, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Don’t be surprised to see Dan Johnson get cut , he’s having a horrible spring, I think he’s 1 for 22 at the plate, and Matt Diaz isn’t tearing it up either.

12. Minoring In Baseball - Mar 16, 2013 at 1:54 AM

Best of luck to him. Maybe one of the hitting coaches in the Yankee system can get the bugs worked out of his swing.

13. banger60 - Mar 17, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Pisano was right, Diaz, he gone.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5204)