Tom Seaver has spent the last nine months suffering from Lyme disease

Mar 15, 2013, 8:23 AM EST

Seaver Mets

Bill Madden of the Daily News has the story of Tom Seaver’s last nine months in hell. The Hall of Famer has been suffering from Lyme disease:

“I felt like I had the worst case of the flu every day, and then I was having trouble remembering things and making bad decisions. I was scared. I said to myself: ‘It’s like I’m getting old before my time. Why is this happening?’ I thought I’d had a stroke.

Madden’s story talks about Seaver’s frightening and uncertain journey through it all. But thankfully reports that he’s feeling much better now and seems to be coming out of the dark.

1. jorkal - Mar 15, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Lyme disease is some scary s#$! My dad got it a week before my wedding. Couldn’t lift his arms above his shoulders, lost feeling on the entire left side of his face, had a constant burning pain from the middle of his back all the way to the top of his head. Took the docs 3 days to figure out what it was. He had to wear an eye patch for almost a month and it was almost 9 months before his speech was back to normal. All from a tick.

Stupid outdoors.

• a51353w - Mar 19, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Test results are too often wrong and too many doctors relie on test results to diagnose a condition. That is NOT what they were taught in med school.
      Lyme is so often missed and if present under treated. Doctors don’t want to find Lyme, they don’t know what to do or who to send the patient to. Lyme should be headline news. Instead we talk about the flu or west Nile, they are nothing compared to this epidemic. Aids is so much more rare.
      We ALL know someone with Lyme.
      The symptoms are so numerous, it can affect all or afew body functions

2. paperlions - Mar 15, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Local doctors are notorious for missing anything that isn’t common locally, even if all the signs are there. A colleague of mine spent a year in Iquitos doing field work, when he came back he stopped taking his mefloquine. Melfloquine doesn’t prevent malaria, it generally just makes it wait. Within a couple of weeks of going off the meds he had classic Malaria symptoms, told the doctor that is what he probably had, the doctor comes back with a big book and reads through the symptoms, and because he doesn’t have 1 of the possible symptoms, decides that it probably isn’t Malaria…3 visits later, the doctor finally admits defeat, treats him for malaria and he’s on the mend by the next day.

Here in CT, if people report any of a kagillion symptoms, the first thing they check for is lyme disease….I’m guessing a CA doctor doesn’t see it enough to efficiently diagnose it….and with lyme, the earlier the diagnosis the better. What is funny is that CA actually passed legislation to “protect” doctors from law suits for mis-diagnosing lyme disease. Nice job guys.

• jwbiii - Mar 15, 2013 at 9:50 AM

There have been reported cases in northern California, but it’s nowhere near as common as in New England or Wisconsin. Map on page 5.

• paperlions - Mar 15, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Oh, I know, CA has had about 3,000 or so cases over the last 20 years….but we probably have at least that every month. Nearly everyone I know that is a native Connecticutter and lives rurally or spends time outdoors has had Lyme at least once….it is especially problematic in the spring as nymphal forms of ticks are so tiny that most people never notice them, and the nymphal forms are far more likely to transmit the disease than adults.

• yahmule - Mar 15, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Man, I had no idea it was so prevalent in some areas. I just moved from Las Vegas to Greeley, Colorado, so my possibility of exposure has probably increased about a million percent.

• jwbiii - Mar 15, 2013 at 10:37 AM

I didn’t know that nymphs were more likely to transmit the disease. In my limited experience, nymphs come in bunches seem to prefer warm, dark places to live. By warm, dark places I mean the areas normally covered by your shorts.

• paperlions - Mar 15, 2013 at 11:41 AM

I have some colleagues that are working on small mammals as reservoirs for the disease to try to figure out exactly how it moves through space. Apparently, the feeding style of nymphs makes them more likely to transmit the disease….which also explains how so many people wind up having lyme and never remember having a been bitten by a tick….since almost no one would notice a nymph for what it was.

3. johnnylight715 - Mar 15, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Hey Tom big fan and glad you got the dx most of us went through hell and back just to get the proper dx because lyme is so hard to diagnose and treat and capable of relapse.. Half the battle with Lyme infection-s is to know what it is you are trying to eradicate because many Lyme patients are multiple infected not just Lyme but often co infections accompany lyme and patient are often much sicker and takes specialized treatments and protocols to reach remission stage.. Hope you caught it early enough that you will do just fine with your LLMD and treatments..

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5815)
  2. M. Kemp (3252)
  3. J. Kang (3215)
  4. C. McGehee (3087)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (3056)
  1. J. Upton (2995)