Travis Hafner: slimmed down and ready to rake

Mar 15, 2013, 2:31 PM EDT

Atlanta Braves v New York Yankees Getty Images

I don’t label this one a BSOHL story because I just don’t think they did enough to get there. But Mark Feinsand of the Daily News catches up with new Yankee Travis Hafner, who has dropped some weight:

The Yankees’ designated hitter has dropped 10 pounds this spring in an effort to take some stress off his massive frame, hoping the weight loss will help him to regain his status as one of the league’s most productive hitters. “I feel better overall,” Hafner said. “My body feels really good; I don’t get that sore anymore or anything. I feel like there’s potential there to have a really good season.”

Maybe that qualifies. I don’t know. I do know, however, that if we include him in the BSOHL club that he’s likely to be one of the guys who actually improves season-over-season. Hafner is a lefty dead-pull power hitter about to set up shop in one of the friendliest places for that sort of chap to hit. With him it’s all about health. If it’s there, the dingers will come.

1. uyf1950 - Mar 15, 2013 at 2:43 PM

It’s mind over matter, my friends. BTW, Hafner hit a HR today in the Yankees/Marlins game.

2. vallewho - Mar 15, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Here’s hoping that he has a great year!!!!!!

3. unclemosesgreen - Mar 15, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Pronk!

4. wmg8383 - Mar 15, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Travis Hafner is listed at 6’3″, 240 lbs. I don’t think dropping .04% of his body mass is really going to affect much of anything, let alone take any “stress off his massive frame.” As a 6’5″, 245 lb person here, 10 lbs really is a neglible amount. Hafner could gain/drop that amount in a week, easily, and not even be able to tell the difference.

• paperlions - Mar 15, 2013 at 4:26 PM

The number you were looking for is 4% or 0.04, not 0.04% (which would be about 1.6 ounces)…..and 10 lbs can make a big difference in a sport with such a tiny margin for error, like, you know, baseball.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Mar 15, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Stuff like bones and organs don’t count. 10lbs is a significant portion of his muscle/fat profile.

Since he is likely to be the Yankees opening day #4 or #5 hitter, I am hoping he has a beast of a season.

5. mgscott - Mar 15, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Of course hafner hits after he leaves CLE

6. turdfurgerson68 - Mar 15, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Let’s see how he does sans the amphetamines…funny how he completely dropped off production-wise after they banned them.

….and spare us the ‘injuries did it’ talk.

7. Kevin Gillman - Mar 15, 2013 at 5:14 PM

As an Indians fan, I will always like Hafner. But at this point in his career, playing 130 games is alot to ask. Let’s hope he does.

8. anxovies - Mar 15, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Watched the game today and Pronk looked like a gazelle trotting around the bases.

9. takemytalentstosoutheuclid - Mar 15, 2013 at 9:17 PM

He was never the same after Buerhle drilled him in the face.

10. janessa31888 - Mar 15, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Why couldn’t he have done that last year for us? We loved Pronk, but don’t get too excited Yankee fans. Injuries and Hafner go hand in hand.

11. sbiegler6 - Mar 16, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Hafner isn’t a “dead-pull” hitter. As an Indians fan, I remember watching him stroke quite a few hits to the gap in left center.

Yet another WS run for the Giants