Mar 15, 2013, 3:20 PM EDT
After getting four innings of one-run ball from Samuel Deduno against the United States last night the Dominican Republic will start Wandy Rodriguez tomorrow against the winner of tonight’s USA-Puerto Rico game.
Because the Dominican Republic has already secured a spot in the next round there was some thought that they’d save Rodriguez for the semi-finals, but manager Tony Pena explained why that won’t happen to Barry Bloom of MLB.com:
I sat down with William Castro, the pitching coach, and we determined to pitch Wandy Rodriguez tomorrow, because if we didn’t, he was going to pitch with too many days of rest. So we want to keep the order the way it is, because what you have to understand is that we are in training, and those young men, no matter how much we want to win, we still have to think of them. We have to pitch them on their regular days, so they are in optimal condition.
Not mentioned is whether the Pirates had a say in the matter considering Rodriguez is being paid $13 million to pitch for them this season.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 9
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 103
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 55
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (79)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Rangers live another day, edge Bruins in OT
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris