Mar 16, 2013, 9:40 PM EDT
Perhaps the biggest debate of the off-season, at least after the AL MVP award was handed out, was the benefit or detriment of the Reds’ desire to move Aroldis Chapman to the starting rotation. Chapman, behind a high-90’s fastball, finished the 2012 season with a 1.51 ERA and 38 saves. However, the Reds signed Jonathan Broxton, giving them the flexibility to push Chapman into the rotation.
Here’s the latest wrench in the whole debacle. Chapman says he wants to close, according to Danny Knobler:
What was perhaps most interesting about the day was how strongly Chapman spoke when asked what he wants the Reds’ decision to be.
“I would like to be a closer, but that’s not in my hands,” Chapman said.
General manager Walt Jocketty and pitching coach Bryan Price have favored making Chapman a starter, while Baker has been considered the strongest advocate of leaving him in the bullpen.
The Reds are expected to decide in the next few days what Chapman’s role in 2013 will be, closing or starting. He tossed four innings in his most recent spring training outing, but his spring training use is no indicator of his regular season use as he was worked as a starter last spring as well.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)