Mar 16, 2013, 2:03 PM EST
Carl Crawford is getting close to appearing in his first game as a member of the Dodgers.
According to Eric Stephen of True Blue L.A., Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said this morning that Crawford is tentatively scheduled to make his Cactus League debut tomorrow as the designated hitter against the Padres. That’s assuming he makes it through a minor league game this afternoon with no issues.
“He’s sore leg-wise today. He’s only going to get three at-bats today,” Mattingly said. “It’s really more of a first time he’s played soreness. If everything goes well with that and he comes tomorrow and is good, we’re going to DH him.”
Crawford, who is working his way back from Tommy John surgery, logged some at-bats on the minor league side on Thursday and Friday. He has also played catch the past two days, his first throwing since he was shut down late last month due to some tightness in his left forearm.
While Crawford is beginning to make progress, his status for the start of the season is in doubt. Skip Schumaker and Jerry Hairston, Jr. will likely share left field duties if he needs more time.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 27
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 29
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 376
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (376)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)