Mar 16, 2013, 2:03 PM EDT
Carl Crawford is getting close to appearing in his first game as a member of the Dodgers.
According to Eric Stephen of True Blue L.A., Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said this morning that Crawford is tentatively scheduled to make his Cactus League debut tomorrow as the designated hitter against the Padres. That’s assuming he makes it through a minor league game this afternoon with no issues.
“He’s sore leg-wise today. He’s only going to get three at-bats today,” Mattingly said. “It’s really more of a first time he’s played soreness. If everything goes well with that and he comes tomorrow and is good, we’re going to DH him.”
Crawford, who is working his way back from Tommy John surgery, logged some at-bats on the minor league side on Thursday and Friday. He has also played catch the past two days, his first throwing since he was shut down late last month due to some tightness in his left forearm.
While Crawford is beginning to make progress, his status for the start of the season is in doubt. Skip Schumaker and Jerry Hairston, Jr. will likely share left field duties if he needs more time.
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 9
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 1
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 45
- Twins prospect Byron Buxton done for season after concussion 3
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. 74
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)