Mar 16, 2013, 7:15 PM EDT
The Cubs and Opening Day starter Jeff Samardzija are still far apart on a deal that would cover his remaining two years of arbitration, reports Jon Heyman. The club offered him a contract “well above” Rangers lefty Derek Holland‘s five-year, $30 million deal signed on March 20 last year.
Cubs president Theo Epstein isn’t worried, citing a shared interest in a continued partnership:
“He really wants to be here, and we really want to keep him, so I’m not worried about it,” Cubs president Theo Epstein said this spring.
Epstein isn’t kidding about Samardzija wanting to remain a Cub. In fact, Samardzija, a native of northwest Indiana (Valparaiso, ostensibly a Chicago exurb) doesn’t hide his love for the Cubs, or for Cubs bosses. Well beyond saying there’s “no bad blood,” he speaks glowingly of his bosses, the folks who gave him a chance to move from the bullpen into the rotation, setting in motion this big-bucks negotiation.
“It’s nice to work for people who want me here. I want to show they are not wrong,” Samardzija said earlier this spring. “A lot of it is up to me and how I perform on the field.”
The two sides avoided arbitration in January, agreeing on a one-year, $2.64 contract.
Samardzija pitched out of the rotation exclusively for the first time his career in 2012 and had great results. He finished with a 3.81 ERA in 174.2 innings and was one of only 19 qualified NL starters to average three strikeouts for every one walk. Of those 19, he was one of three to also average a strikeout per inning of work.
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 21
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 9
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)