Mar 16, 2013, 7:15 PM EDT
The Cubs and Opening Day starter Jeff Samardzija are still far apart on a deal that would cover his remaining two years of arbitration, reports Jon Heyman. The club offered him a contract “well above” Rangers lefty Derek Holland‘s five-year, $30 million deal signed on March 20 last year.
Cubs president Theo Epstein isn’t worried, citing a shared interest in a continued partnership:
“He really wants to be here, and we really want to keep him, so I’m not worried about it,” Cubs president Theo Epstein said this spring.
Epstein isn’t kidding about Samardzija wanting to remain a Cub. In fact, Samardzija, a native of northwest Indiana (Valparaiso, ostensibly a Chicago exurb) doesn’t hide his love for the Cubs, or for Cubs bosses. Well beyond saying there’s “no bad blood,” he speaks glowingly of his bosses, the folks who gave him a chance to move from the bullpen into the rotation, setting in motion this big-bucks negotiation.
“It’s nice to work for people who want me here. I want to show they are not wrong,” Samardzija said earlier this spring. “A lot of it is up to me and how I perform on the field.”
The two sides avoided arbitration in January, agreeing on a one-year, $2.64 contract.
Samardzija pitched out of the rotation exclusively for the first time his career in 2012 and had great results. He finished with a 3.81 ERA in 174.2 innings and was one of only 19 qualified NL starters to average three strikeouts for every one walk. Of those 19, he was one of three to also average a strikeout per inning of work.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)