Mar 16, 2013, 9:48 AM EDT
White Sox left-hander John Danks was limited to just three starts last season due to a shoulder injury which required surgery. While he’s healthy now, he could get a late start on the 2013 season.
Danks has been shaky over his first three Cactus League outings, posting an 11.74 ERA and 4/3 K/BB ratio over 7 2/3 innings. Meanwhile, his velocity is in the high-80s, down a few ticks from his career average. White Sox pitching coach Don Cooper told Daryl Van Schouwen of the Chicago Sun-Times yesterday that the disabled list is a possibility if it is determined that he needs to build more arm strength.
“John is aware if he’s ready he’s going to be with us,’’ Cooper said Friday. “If he’s not, we’ll give him more time. It’s not something we are going to rush or force feed. We can’t say, ‘Hey, we need you to throw harder.’ We have no control over that. All we have control over is going out there and having our sidelines and going out in the game. Heck, he threw 60 pitches yesterday so that’s a plus in itself. He’s climbing.
The White Sox have every reason to take things slow here. As part of a five-year, $65 million extension signed in December of 2011, Danks will make $14.25 million in each of the next four seasons.
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 36
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 64
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 33
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 48
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)