Mar 16, 2013, 9:48 AM EST
White Sox left-hander John Danks was limited to just three starts last season due to a shoulder injury which required surgery. While he’s healthy now, he could get a late start on the 2013 season.
Danks has been shaky over his first three Cactus League outings, posting an 11.74 ERA and 4/3 K/BB ratio over 7 2/3 innings. Meanwhile, his velocity is in the high-80s, down a few ticks from his career average. White Sox pitching coach Don Cooper told Daryl Van Schouwen of the Chicago Sun-Times yesterday that the disabled list is a possibility if it is determined that he needs to build more arm strength.
“John is aware if he’s ready he’s going to be with us,’’ Cooper said Friday. “If he’s not, we’ll give him more time. It’s not something we are going to rush or force feed. We can’t say, ‘Hey, we need you to throw harder.’ We have no control over that. All we have control over is going out there and having our sidelines and going out in the game. Heck, he threw 60 pitches yesterday so that’s a plus in itself. He’s climbing.
The White Sox have every reason to take things slow here. As part of a five-year, $65 million extension signed in December of 2011, Danks will make $14.25 million in each of the next four seasons.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 272
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (275)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)