Mar 16, 2013, 3:13 PM EDT
The centerpiece of the trade that sent right-hander James Shields to the Royals will begin the 2013 season in the minor leagues.
The Rays announced this morning that top prospect outfielder Wil Myers was reassigned to minor league camp. The 22-year-old batted .300 (9-for-30) with a triple, three doubles and an RBI in 15 games during Grapefruit League action.
Myers has been expected to begin the season with Triple-A Durham all along. And while Rays fans are anxious to see him, the timing of his major league debut has some major financial implications. Keeping him in the minors for even a few weeks would delay his free agency by a year, similar to how the Nationals handled Bryce Harper last year. If the Rays wait until around mid-June to call him up, it would keep him from being a “Super Two” player and having four years of arbitration eligibility as opposed to the usual three. Of course, his contract situation could be rendered moot if the Rays are somehow able to sign him to a long-term deal similar to Evan Longoria and Matt Moore, but Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times hears that Myers hasn’t been approached with any offers yet.
Myers, 22, batted .314/.387/.600 with 37 home runs and a .987 OPS between Double-A Northwest Arkansas and Triple-A Omaha last year. Baseball America recently ranked him as the No. 4 prospect in the game on their annual Top 100 list.
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 3
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)