Mar 16, 2013, 10:30 AM EST
It was announced yesterday that Tigers minor league right-hander Cesar Carrillo was suspended 100 games for violating the minor league drug prevention and treatment program. No specific drug was mentioned in the announcement, but it was later confirmed that the suspension was the result of his connection to the Miami-based Biogenesis clinic. But there’s a whole lot more where that came from.
Ryan Braun, Alex Rodriguez, Melky Cabrera, Nelson Cruz, Gio Gonzalez, Jhonny Peralta, Yasmani Grandal, Francisco Cervelli, Bartolo Colon, Jesus Montero and Danny Valencia are among the major leaguers who have been linked to the clinic. MLB will obviously have a tougher time putting the hammer down on that group since they are protected by the union, but it’s clear that this story is far from over. It was reported earlier this week that the Florida Department of Health has opened an investigation into Biogenesis and Dr. Anthony Bosch, a potentially important development, but it remains to be seen whether they have any interest in cooperating with MLB.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)