Mar 17, 2013, 4:45 PM EDT
From beat writer Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com:
Albert Pujols expects to make his first start at first base on Tuesday, which comes after an off day and will see the Angels play the Brewers in Maryvale, Ariz.
The Angels won’t utilize the designated hitter that day, playing under National League rules so their starting pitcher (Jason Vargas) can hit for the first time this spring.
Pujols began serving as the Angels’ DH in Cactus League games on March 5 and ditched his designated runner last week. He told reporters on Sunday morning in Angels camp that his surgically-repaired right knee feels good enough now to handle defensive play.
Pujols is 6-for-17 (.353/.389/.765) with two homers and four RBI through six spring games.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)