Mar 17, 2013, 10:32 AM EDT
Here’s Tom Haudricourt, beat writer for the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel:
You understand the reservations the Brewers have about Lohse. He is 34 and wants at least a three-year deal, and the Brewers were burned in the past by committing to Jeff Suppan and Randy Wolf with multiyear deals in their 30s.
But [Brewers owner Mark Attanasio] likes to win, and his club returns the highest-scoring offense in the NL from a year ago. [Scott] Boras has told him that it would be a shame to waste such an attack with a substandard starting rotation.
So, all things considered, I’ll believe the Brewers aren’t going to sign Lohse when he signs with another club.
The Brewers would also have to forfeit the 17th overall pick in this year’s draft, which might be the biggest deterrent. But Haudricourt says that Boras has spoken to Attanasio “more than once” this winter about the free agent right-hander, who had a 2.86 ERA and 1.09 WHIP in 211 innings with the Cardinals in 2012.
Opening Day is exactly two weeks away and Lohse remains without a team. It’s pretty incredible.
- Triples Machine: After a decade in the minors Royals rookie Paulo Orlando is demolishing triples records 3
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 20
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 27
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 9
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 68
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 41
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (111)