Mar 17, 2013, 10:32 AM EDT
Here’s Tom Haudricourt, beat writer for the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel:
You understand the reservations the Brewers have about Lohse. He is 34 and wants at least a three-year deal, and the Brewers were burned in the past by committing to Jeff Suppan and Randy Wolf with multiyear deals in their 30s.
But [Brewers owner Mark Attanasio] likes to win, and his club returns the highest-scoring offense in the NL from a year ago. [Scott] Boras has told him that it would be a shame to waste such an attack with a substandard starting rotation.
So, all things considered, I’ll believe the Brewers aren’t going to sign Lohse when he signs with another club.
The Brewers would also have to forfeit the 17th overall pick in this year’s draft, which might be the biggest deterrent. But Haudricourt says that Boras has spoken to Attanasio “more than once” this winter about the free agent right-hander, who had a 2.86 ERA and 1.09 WHIP in 211 innings with the Cardinals in 2012.
Opening Day is exactly two weeks away and Lohse remains without a team. It’s pretty incredible.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)