Mar 17, 2013, 10:32 AM EST
Here’s Tom Haudricourt, beat writer for the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel:
You understand the reservations the Brewers have about Lohse. He is 34 and wants at least a three-year deal, and the Brewers were burned in the past by committing to Jeff Suppan and Randy Wolf with multiyear deals in their 30s.
But [Brewers owner Mark Attanasio] likes to win, and his club returns the highest-scoring offense in the NL from a year ago. [Scott] Boras has told him that it would be a shame to waste such an attack with a substandard starting rotation.
So, all things considered, I’ll believe the Brewers aren’t going to sign Lohse when he signs with another club.
The Brewers would also have to forfeit the 17th overall pick in this year’s draft, which might be the biggest deterrent. But Haudricourt says that Boras has spoken to Attanasio “more than once” this winter about the free agent right-hander, who had a 2.86 ERA and 1.09 WHIP in 211 innings with the Cardinals in 2012.
Opening Day is exactly two weeks away and Lohse remains without a team. It’s pretty incredible.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 10
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 279
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 17
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (279)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)