Mar 17, 2013, 8:53 AM EDT
Diamondbacks outfielder Cody Ross was removed from a Cactus League game on March 3 against the Giants with discomfort in his lower left leg. It’s been two weeks and his return to action is not close.
According to MLB.com’s Steve Gilbert, Ross — who was officially diagnosed with a left calf strain — has barely even attempted to jog at a normal pace on the leg. ”It’s just been slow,” manager Kirk Gibson told reporters on Saturday. “He’s done really no full weight-bearing stuff running-wise. He’s not ready for it. I think he went in the pool yesterday. I think the next step will be the Ultra G [treadmill], which they can unload some of the weight when he runs.”
It’s very possible that the 32-year-old will open the 2013 regular season on the 15-day disabled list.
Ross signed a three-year, $26 million contract with the Snakes this winter after batting .267/.326/.481 with 22 home runs and 81 RBI in 130 games last season with the Red Sox. He’ll start in right field once he’s healthy.
- Thanks to Jeff Loria, Miami gets shut out of the Super Bowl 14
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. 88
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 64
- Alex Sanabia brings back the spitball in beating the Phillies 54
- Joe Maddon shows us why limited instant replay and manager challenges are bad ideas 47
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (94)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (88)
- Yankees School of Witchcraft and Wizardry (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery