Cody Ross still sidelined with strained left calf muscle, questionable for Opening Day

Mar 17, 2013, 8:53 AM EDT

Cody Ross Getty Getty Images

Diamondbacks outfielder Cody Ross was removed from a Cactus League game on March 3 against the Giants with discomfort in his lower left leg. It’s been two weeks and his return to action is not close.

According to MLB.com’s Steve Gilbert, Ross — who was officially diagnosed with a left calf strain — has barely even attempted to jog at a normal pace on the leg. “It’s just been slow,” manager Kirk Gibson told reporters on Saturday. “He’s done really no full weight-bearing stuff running-wise. He’s not ready for it. I think he went in the pool yesterday. I think the next step will be the Ultra G [treadmill], which they can unload some of the weight when he runs.”

It’s very possible that the 32-year-old will open the 2013 regular season on the 15-day disabled list.

Ross signed a three-year, $26 million contract with the Snakes this winter after batting .267/.326/.481 with 22 home runs and 81 RBI in 130 games last season with the Red Sox. He’ll start in right field once he’s healthy.

1. cowboysoldiertx - Mar 17, 2013 at 10:09 AM

I can’t believe he received that contract and getting hurt is now iceing on it!

2. jwbiii - Mar 17, 2013 at 10:43 AM

I think this spring training will make Diamondbacks players more hesitant to play in 2014. Next month people will have to look up how many games they won, but everyone is going to remember that Cody Ross is going to miss opening day, and who knows how long after that.

• historiophiliac - Mar 17, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Plus, ST is scheduled at the wrong time of year. Of course, that doesn’t address anyone’s lack of patriotism as a reason not to play, which is another issue. The Diamondbacks don’t even bother to play all their best players for this thing anyway. ST sucks.

• paperlions - Mar 17, 2013 at 2:48 PM

In a lot of ways, ST and WBC are the same. The best players don’t play, the games don’t count, players aren’t paid, and MLB makes money.

• historiophiliac - Mar 17, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Humor, my man. That was humor.

• paperlions - Mar 17, 2013 at 3:14 PM

That was sarcasm, though admittedly subtle as the things listed are true.

• historiophiliac - Mar 17, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Hmmm, clearly, I need to adjust my sarcasm detector. You are too subtle for me today…as I know you believe the things you say.

Are you getting more snow? How’s the weekend?

• paperlions - Mar 17, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Nope. No snow. Kinda sucky weather though, mid-30s, cloudy and windy. It was nice enough to take the dogs on a hike though.

Spent most of the weekend cooking…..collared greens, veal shoulder roast, and chipa (a paraguayan style cheese bread), with salmon fillets planned for tonight. Might even watch me a little WBC if I can find a broadcast of it.

You?

• historiophiliac - Mar 17, 2013 at 4:04 PM

The hike sounds nice. It was 80 here yesterday but today is supposed to be only 50. Most of the week should be like that. Thankfully, there’s good chances of rain (you know we need it).

I graded a little and went to a meeting yesterday. Last night I went to a production of the Vagina Monologues (LOL) and then drank in Paddy’s Day. My little momma is making corn beef & cabbage, so I’ll have some of that later…and probably grade some more. It’s a glamorous life.

• paperlions - Mar 17, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Funny. Friday night a group of us that fly fish together had our monthly off-season sushi buffet outing. One of the guys has a daughter that is a college freshman….he is about as conservative as they come….and his wife sat him down to have a serious talk with him….he’s thinking it is something horrible (e.g. daughter is pregnant)….the “news”…was that his daughter was in a play….the vagina monologues, and that her character is a lesbian with a black girlfriend. He was perplexed as to why his daughter would be scared to tell him….and we all died laughing….because he’s a scary looking guy, 6’3″, 260, ex marine that still has the flat top, is a paramedic and a fireman….hyper-conservative….it just recently occurred to him that Fox news may not be 100% accurate….of course she was worried…..but he was cool with it and said he enjoyed the show.

• historiophiliac - Mar 17, 2013 at 4:21 PM

To be honest, it wasn’t really my thing. Parts were funny. In general though, I prefer art where the politics is more subtle (believe it or not) or maybe better done? I went b/c it was a fundraiser for a local victims’ group and a friend was in it. The funny was the security guards at the location were glued to the doors.

3. Old Gator - Mar 17, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Those were pretty good numbers for a Beanbag last season. Can fried chicken cause calf injuries? Speaking of which, can veal schnitzel cause calf injuries?

Nyuknyuknyuk….

• jwbiii - Mar 17, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Jaeger schnitzel, mmm. Dammit, I just made a big pot of chicken and andouille jambalaya. Don’t make me think about making schnitzels!

• historiophiliac - Mar 17, 2013 at 2:02 PM

No corned beef and cabbage?

• Old Gator - Mar 17, 2013 at 2:22 PM

I have a well-brined and peppered brisket in the pot even as we speak.

jwbiii: Speakin’ of chicken, I am going to make doro wat for the very first time this week. I just received a package of berbere spice from a specialty grocer in Washington DC, and found an Ethiopian cookbook on Amazon. Bought a package of teff at Wholefoods to make injera, too.This ought to be interessin’. I’ll report on my progress by week’s end. If this works, lamb tibs will be next – what with Passover looming.

• jwbiii - Mar 17, 2013 at 2:23 PM

No, I prefer my brisket barbequed. It’s still a little cold up here for that.

• Old Gator - Mar 17, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Oh, and incidentally – alligator tail meat makes terrific schnitzel too. It is indistinguishable from veal with the correct prep (marinate in papaya nectar for a day or two, roll in cheesecloth and work with a veal mallet) and contains less than 10% of the cholesterol of veal.

And it avoids calf injuries. Nyuknyuknyuk redux.

• jwbiii - Mar 17, 2013 at 2:34 PM

There used to be a good Ethiopian restaurant about three blocks south of Wrigley Field, but the owners retired. Enjoy your wat and eat all of your placemat!

• Old Gator - Mar 17, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Funny you should say that. The first time I ate Ethiopian food, I mistook the injera for the placemat. I was in…eh…augmented condition, though. I must say that once I was convinced that it wasn’t really the placemat, I decided that it was the tastiest placemat I ever ate.

Helluva night, that one. Adams-Morgan, at the legendary Fasika’s. They had a waitress named Tee-Cee who was the original Nubian princess. Dear Buddha.

4. timpaz - Mar 17, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Another terrible signing by Towers

5. Minoring In Baseball - Mar 18, 2013 at 12:44 AM

As a West Michigan Whitecaps alum, I hope he heels and has a productive season for the D-Backs. Gibson will get the most out of him.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3454)