Cuban pitcher Yadier Pedroso dies in car accident

Mar 17, 2013, 8:47 PM EST

Cuba v China - World Baseball Classic First Round Group A Getty Images

Sad news via the Caribbean Journal:

Cuban pitcher Yadier Pedroso Gonzalez, who pitched for his country in the World Baseball Classic in Tokyo last week, was killed this weekend in a traffic accident in Cuba, according to Joan Molina, director of sports for the territory of Artemisa.

The accident, which also killed two others, occurred in Manga Central on the road leading to Artemisa.

Pedroso, who was 26 years old, tossed 1.2 innings for Cuba in the 2013 edition of the World Baseball Classic as well as five innings back in 2006.

1. cowboys8819 - Mar 17, 2013 at 9:14 PM

That is sad, he was so young. Prayers for his family.

2. historiophiliac - Mar 17, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Damn :(

3. steelers88 - Mar 17, 2013 at 9:59 PM

I will pray for his family. This incident reminds me that life is so precious and to not take life for granted one minute you can be here and the next minute your gone. This also has taught me to be crazy. Be stupid. Be weird. Be whatever. Because life is to short to be anything but happy.

• tfbuckfutter - Mar 17, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Are you going to dance like no one is watching?

4. delusionalcardsfan - Mar 17, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Sweet Jesus this is sad news. Godspeed sir.

5. tfbuckfutter - Mar 17, 2013 at 10:04 PM

This made me curious about the life expectancy in Cuba because, to be honest, I don’t know a whole lot about life in Cuba aside from the fictionalized accounts we see in books and TV.

Turns out it is a year longer in the USA. Which I found interesting.

I wish Wiki or anywhere else had more information about his life. It’s hard not to be curious about someone you know nothing about.

Even though no one who it will mean anything to will see this, for what it’s worth, I am sadder than I was before I clicked HBT on my Favorites list.

• tfbuckfutter - Mar 17, 2013 at 10:13 PM

It is a year longer THAN in the USA is what I meant.

• historiophiliac - Mar 17, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Dude, you can’t drop mysteries on people like that.

6. dukeearl - Mar 17, 2013 at 10:56 PM

tf,
    What difference does the average life expectancy comparison make?

Or is this just an idle thought?

• tfbuckfutter - Mar 17, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Just an idle thought.

I thought “Wow, 26 is really young….well, I don’t know anything about Cuba, so maybe it’s not THAT young there….maybe everybody drives all crazy style like they do in the Bahamas and traffic deaths happen nonstop….”

Then decided to look it up.

7. dukeearl - Mar 17, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Well, bunch of different reasons why it can be lower in Cuba.
    Mainly they don’t have a lot of drivers and the cars they drive are mostly from the 1950’s.
    The population is on average more rural and they tend to work with their hands as opposed to sitting behind a desk.

Still… I’d rather lose the 0.53 year difference and live here in the US.

• hojo20 - Mar 17, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Me too. I love the USA. All the other countries suck.

• Kleinz 57 - Mar 18, 2013 at 9:16 AM

An eloquently-phrased, well-reasoned statement. You surely must make your countrymen proud.

8. dukeearl - Mar 17, 2013 at 11:06 PM

by lower I meant to say that the fatality rate was lower. Sorry for any confusion.

9. randygnyc - Mar 17, 2013 at 11:41 PM

mors vincit omnia.

Condolences to his loved ones.

10. proudliberal85392 - Mar 18, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Very sad news, indeed.

11. ravens4lifeudig - Mar 18, 2013 at 1:52 PM

wish Him and his family makes it through this Sad SAd SAD SAD SAD SAD hope they make it and grow stronger through Faith

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5287)