Mar 17, 2013, 11:25 AM EDT
The bad news keeps pouring out of Yankees camp.
Teixeira injured his right wrist a little less than two weeks ago while hitting in a cage before Team USA’s exhibition game against the White Sox — prior to the opening of the 2013 World Baseball Classic. It’s the same type of injury that cost Toronto slugger Jose Bautista a large chunk of the 2012 season, and it’s also the type of injury can linger for years unless taken care of surgically.
Teixeira, 32, batted .251/.332/.475 with 24 home runs and 84 RBI in 123 games last season. He is owed $90 million over the next four years. Juan Rivera appears likely to fill in at first base for the Yanks early on.
- Miguel Cabrera ties Hank Greenberg with 331st career homer 7
- Bud Selig’s view on replay has “evolved” 13
- Umpires use replay on controversial Matt Joyce home run 12
- Rangers put Ian Kinsler on the 15-day disabled list and call up top prospect Jurickson Profar 6
- Carlos Ruiz leaves game with strained right hamstring 2
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles