Mar 17, 2013, 11:25 AM EDT
The bad news keeps pouring out of Yankees camp.
Teixeira injured his right wrist a little less than two weeks ago while hitting in a cage before Team USA’s exhibition game against the White Sox — prior to the opening of the 2013 World Baseball Classic. It’s the same type of injury that cost Toronto slugger Jose Bautista a large chunk of the 2012 season, and it’s also the type of injury can linger for years unless taken care of surgically.
Teixeira, 32, batted .251/.332/.475 with 24 home runs and 84 RBI in 123 games last season. He is owed $90 million over the next four years. Juan Rivera appears likely to fill in at first base for the Yanks early on.
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 5
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 12
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 38
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 25
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)