Mar 17, 2013, 11:25 AM EST
The bad news keeps pouring out of Yankees camp.
Teixeira injured his right wrist a little less than two weeks ago while hitting in a cage before Team USA’s exhibition game against the White Sox — prior to the opening of the 2013 World Baseball Classic. It’s the same type of injury that cost Toronto slugger Jose Bautista a large chunk of the 2012 season, and it’s also the type of injury can linger for years unless taken care of surgically.
Teixeira, 32, batted .251/.332/.475 with 24 home runs and 84 RBI in 123 games last season. He is owed $90 million over the next four years. Juan Rivera appears likely to fill in at first base for the Yanks early on.
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 8
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 12
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 64
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 81
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 61
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)