Mar 17, 2013, 11:25 AM EDT
The bad news keeps pouring out of Yankees camp.
Teixeira injured his right wrist a little less than two weeks ago while hitting in a cage before Team USA’s exhibition game against the White Sox — prior to the opening of the 2013 World Baseball Classic. It’s the same type of injury that cost Toronto slugger Jose Bautista a large chunk of the 2012 season, and it’s also the type of injury can linger for years unless taken care of surgically.
Teixeira, 32, batted .251/.332/.475 with 24 home runs and 84 RBI in 123 games last season. He is owed $90 million over the next four years. Juan Rivera appears likely to fill in at first base for the Yanks early on.
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 21
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 9
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)