Mar 17, 2013, 11:25 AM EDT
The bad news keeps pouring out of Yankees camp.
Teixeira injured his right wrist a little less than two weeks ago while hitting in a cage before Team USA’s exhibition game against the White Sox — prior to the opening of the 2013 World Baseball Classic. It’s the same type of injury that cost Toronto slugger Jose Bautista a large chunk of the 2012 season, and it’s also the type of injury can linger for years unless taken care of surgically.
Teixeira, 32, batted .251/.332/.475 with 24 home runs and 84 RBI in 123 games last season. He is owed $90 million over the next four years. Juan Rivera appears likely to fill in at first base for the Yanks early on.
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 21
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 16
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 79
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)