Mar 17, 2013, 9:29 PM EST
The initial word on Christian Garcia’s visit with a Baltimore-based hand specialist is that the right-hander will need two more weeks of rest before he can resume throwing.
Garcia was scheduled to fly to Washington on Sunday to be evaluated by Ken Means, a hand specialist. He had originally hoped to play catch on Monday after not throwing for nearly a month with a partially torn tendon in his right forearm. He was likely injured when throwing on a cold morning of workouts last month.
Adam Kilgore suggests that the right-hander would return in early May at the earliest.
Garcia made his Major League debut last season at the age of 26, posting a 2.13 ERA with 15 strikeouts and two walks in 12.2 innings. Coming up through the Minor Leagues in the Yankees’ system, he was used as a starter, but the Nationals converted him to a reliever two seasons ago.
With a back-end of the bullpen that includes closer Rafael Soriano, Drew Storen, and Tyler Clippard, the Nationals should be just fine in crucial spots in the game, but having another hard-throwing right-hander from the get-go would have been a nice luxury for the defending NL East champs.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 137
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 31
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (148)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)