Mar 17, 2013, 9:29 PM EDT
The initial word on Christian Garcia’s visit with a Baltimore-based hand specialist is that the right-hander will need two more weeks of rest before he can resume throwing.
Garcia was scheduled to fly to Washington on Sunday to be evaluated by Ken Means, a hand specialist. He had originally hoped to play catch on Monday after not throwing for nearly a month with a partially torn tendon in his right forearm. He was likely injured when throwing on a cold morning of workouts last month.
Adam Kilgore suggests that the right-hander would return in early May at the earliest.
Garcia made his Major League debut last season at the age of 26, posting a 2.13 ERA with 15 strikeouts and two walks in 12.2 innings. Coming up through the Minor Leagues in the Yankees’ system, he was used as a starter, but the Nationals converted him to a reliever two seasons ago.
With a back-end of the bullpen that includes closer Rafael Soriano, Drew Storen, and Tyler Clippard, the Nationals should be just fine in crucial spots in the game, but having another hard-throwing right-hander from the get-go would have been a nice luxury for the defending NL East champs.
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 4
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 17
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 23
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mike Trout hits two homers, including a grand slam, to take MLB lead 13
- Zack Greinke’s scoreless innings streak ends at 45 2/3 7
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)