Mar 17, 2013, 7:05 PM EDT
Pablo Sandoval has played in fewer than 120 games in each of the past two seasons. With today’s news, the Giants are hoping the trend does not continue in 2013. Andrew Baggarly reports Sandoval was scratched from the Giants’ lineup an hour before their Cactus League game against the Colorado Rockies:
Sandoval did not appear to have any trouble making several strong throws across the diamond on Saturday; he also played catch Sunday with no apparent problems.
Sandoval earned World Series MVP honors last year, helping lead his Giants to their second championship in three years. In a clean sweep of the Detroit Tigers, Sandoval hit .500 with three home runs. When healthy, he is one of the best-hitting third basemen in baseball.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45