Roy Halladay leaves spring start after just one inning

Mar 17, 2013, 1:41 PM EDT

halladay getty Getty Images

Between the spring velocity concerns and last year’s shoulder issues, there are already plenty of reasons to worry about how Roy Halladay will fare in 2013.

This, hopefully, turns out to be nothing at all.

Jim Salisbury of CSN Philadelphia reports that Halladay lasted only one inning in his Grapefruit League start Sunday afternoon against the Orioles because of a stomach virus. He allowed a hit, a walk and struck out one in the first frame and was then relieved by Zach Miner at the start of the second.

Halladay entered Sunday’s outing with a 7.36 ERA in 11 spring innings. He says his arm feels fine.

1. Stiller43 - Mar 17, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Idk why but i had a dream last night halladay got traded to the buccos….ive had some weird dreams, but that was really strange…

• evanwins - Mar 17, 2013 at 2:56 PM

If you are dreaming about relatively meaningless baseball trades you should probably try to get out of the house more often.

2. historiophiliac - Mar 17, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Stomach virus? That would’ve been a classic moment if he had hurled, and then said, “My arm feels fine,” afterward.

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 17, 2013 at 2:55 PM

He hurled, and then he really hurled. The trainer said he’s lost a few mph on his technicolor fastball, but it’s not that unusual in spring training, he’s got a mild case of “dead abs.” As he stretches out and builds strength, he should be hurling like the Olson twins soon enough.

• proudlycanadian - Mar 17, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Kind of difficult to pitch, if you need to run to the washroom frequently.

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 17, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Gives a whole new meaning to “trots off the field.”

• proudlycanadian - Mar 17, 2013 at 3:55 PM

It sure does.

• historiophiliac - Mar 17, 2013 at 3:58 PM

And, if he doesn’t make it off the field, it could devolve into:

3. djjackson81 - Mar 17, 2013 at 2:18 PM

I think Phili is in trouble as Holliday and Lee are trending down as far as pitchers go.

• Reflex - Mar 17, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Not sure how you get that about Lee, his season last year was very very good. Halladay is definitely looking like age is catching up though.

• evanwins - Mar 17, 2013 at 2:35 PM

I don’t think the Phils need to worry about Holliday. They only play the Cardinals 2 series this year. BTW, he’s an outfielder so his pitching stats aren’t that important, he’s more known for his bat anyway.

• professor59 - Mar 18, 2013 at 1:06 AM

Or even Halladay.

4. sumerduckman - Mar 17, 2013 at 2:38 PM

I watched the man pitch last week, and his arm looked fine. But, it looked to me that he was having problems pushing off the rubber. Legs? Back? No push on the pitch, no velocity.

5. evanwins - Mar 17, 2013 at 2:53 PM

My first thought when they said stomach virus was that they were lying. Then I remembered that they mentioned Papelbon was scratched because of a stomach virus before the game started. Then I rewound and watched Halladay’s inning again.
    While watching him in his inning I kept noticing him going to the back of the mound and leaning over. It really looked like he was going to throw up.
    So i’l buy stomach virus for now.
    Pitching wise, he looked okay. Really good movement. No radar gun but velocity looked okay and the broadcasters said it looked decent. He walked a guy on a 3-2 change-up that the batter didn’t bite on. Neither of the 4 batters hit the ball hard off him.

In all, too small a sample size to really gauge anything. although I’m sure the haters will be out in full force crow-barring negativity into a situation where you can’t draw any solid conclusion.

• schmedley69 - Mar 17, 2013 at 3:44 PM

@evanwins – stop trying to be positive about Roy Halladay. Didn’t you read the HBT bylaws? Every Phillies-related post or comment on here must have a snarky, negative spin. After all, the Phillies are the worst team of all time and their average age is 73.5 and they will probably finish 0-162 this year.

• seeingwhatsticks - Mar 17, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Are you saying the only reason anyone would suggest the Phillies are too old is bias? Because you know they’re like, old and stuff, right? It’s sort of right there in black and white. Although I will say it’s unfair to think that starting pitchers in their mid-30’s with a ton of mileage on their bodies will break down and get hurt over 162 games. I mean there’s just no precedent for that.

I don’t doubt Halladay is really sick and it’s still early so he could rebound, but if you’re not concerned about a 35 year old guy who misses significant time with a shoulder injury and then shows up to spring training having lost 3-4mph off his fastball I don’t think you have a real solid relationship with reality.

6. dondada10 - Mar 17, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Isn’t “stomach virus” baseball code for hangover?

• historiophiliac - Mar 17, 2013 at 4:13 PM

I thought that was “elbow strain.”

• dondada10 - Mar 17, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Elbow strain means STD.

• historiophiliac - Mar 17, 2013 at 4:27 PM

I thought that was “pulled groin.” Man, I’m all off on my terms.

• paperlions - Mar 17, 2013 at 4:29 PM

I think pulled ham-string is code for food poisoning.

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 17, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Don – the latest baseball STD case (Jhonny Peralta) refreshingingly came clean and said it was from eating the clam chowder.

• indaburg - Mar 17, 2013 at 5:08 PM

In all seriousness, the Clearwater/Tampa area is seeing a huge spike in norovirus (stomach virus) cases. My family is currently undergoing its second round in a month. So, we probably got Halladay sick. Sorry about that.

Good one, moses.

• stex52 - Mar 17, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Bad news. Inda. Hope you guys feel better.

• indaburg - Mar 17, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Thanks, stex. I am knee deep in the stuff. Not pretty. Normally I would say that Halladay’s stomach virus is a hangover with it being St. Paddy’s and all, but this is one nasty bug making the rounds.

7. macjacmccoy - Mar 17, 2013 at 6:25 PM

I puked my guts up Saturday night after my Sister did on Friday night. I figure either my sister is banging Paps or the Dr on the sly or its a coincidence .

• paperlions - Mar 17, 2013 at 7:41 PM

….are you trying to tell us how you got it from your sister? Because…..ewwww.

• historiophiliac - Mar 17, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Boy, am I glad I’m not the only one who thought that.

8. DelawarePhilliesFan - Mar 17, 2013 at 6:50 PM

FWIW – to all the hangover theorists, Roy Halladay was raised Mormon and is a teetotaler

• bolweevils2 - Mar 18, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Then maybe he had too much tea.

9. thrstr - Mar 17, 2013 at 6:59 PM

if nothing else Philly fans can start laying the excuse groundwork in for 2013.
    Will you be “occupying” Nats Park again this season? That made those games so much more special for us.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Mar 17, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Help me out here – who was the last team that won the NL East and cold not stop obsessing about the Phillies? 2006 Mets?

• schmedley69 - Mar 17, 2013 at 7:49 PM

By “us” I assume you are referring to yourself and the 3 other Nats “fans” who were also in attendance?

10. fenianblastard - Mar 17, 2013 at 7:27 PM

It’s H A L L A D A Y, Holiday plays for the Cards !

11. timpaz - Mar 17, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Phillies fans better get ready for a long season if Halladay is finished

12. spudchukar - Mar 18, 2013 at 7:49 AM

Looks like Halladay and Carpenter will have plenty of time to pal up and go fishing this summer.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3272)