Mar 17, 2013, 12:09 PM EST
Red Sox shortstop Stephen Drew was diagnosed with a concussion 10 days ago after getting beaned in the batting helmet by a pitch. And the 30-year-old has not made a whole lot of tangible progress since.
Scott Lauber — Red Sox beat writer for the Boston Herald — reports that Drew “has been cleared only to lightly play catch, not to take batting practice or ramp up his physical activity.” Which prompted Red Sox manager John Farrell to acknowledge Sunday morning in Fort Myers, Florida that “the window is narrowing” on Drew’s chances of opening the regular season as a member of the active 25-man roster.
Drew has been in contact with Dr. Michael Collins, a concussion specialist at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. But no amount of advice or treatment can help curb the symptoms. It’s all about rest.
“This is one of those things that time has got to be given for those symptoms to subside,” Farrell said.
The Red Sox will probably feature Jose Iglesias as their starting shortstop until Drew is ready.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 82
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)