Stephen Strasburg wants to be a workhorse this season

Mar 17, 2013, 9:37 AM EDT

strasburg getty Getty Images

The Nationals handled Stephen Strasburg with the ultimate level of care last season, only allowing him to throw more than 100 pitches in a game a handful of times and ultimately cutting him off at 159 1/3 total frames. It was a smart strategy for a prized pitcher coming off Tommy John surgery, but the ace right-hander is looking forward to a little more freedom.

“I’m not trying to get out there and get used to throwing 90, 94 pitches,” Strasburg told Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post on Saturday in Nationals camp. “You look at some of the top pitchers in the game, they go at least 110 every time out. I’m going to be prepared for it. … Just got to keep working, keep grinding.”

Strasburg has a 2.94 ERA and 1.09 WHIP in 45 career starts. He has fanned 313 batters in 251 1/3 career innings. And he is just now being let loose. It’s a frightening thought for the rest of the National League.

1. mungman69 - Mar 17, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Now he has to have a good year. No excuses.

2. cowboysoldiertx - Mar 17, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Yup, just bring it. lol

3. maddogg911 - Mar 17, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Are the training wheels finally coming off? This is ridiculous

• Old Gator - Mar 17, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Why? They’ve got a huge investment in this kid. So far, so good – what would they have proven by running him into the ground?

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 17, 2013 at 10:55 AM

You hippies, always worrying about crap like “player safety” are ruining the game. Old school managers know that grit and leadership win games, not this namby-pamby nanny state bullshit. The fact that they sacrificed their chance at making the playoffs to babysit this kid makes me wanna puke.

• Old Gator - Mar 17, 2013 at 11:05 AM

I only wish I had enough hair left to be a hippie.

• stoutfiles - Mar 17, 2013 at 5:50 PM

I dunno….winning in the playoffs?

• Old Gator - Mar 17, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Assuming they had brought him in in the bottom of the ninth instead of their closer, sure. But the chances that they would have done that were about the same as a micrometeorite punching through the atmostphere intact and drilling an ion-sized hole in whatever part of your brain you’re supposed to store your recollections of what happened last season. The Gnats’ loss in the playoffs had nothing to do with benching Strasburg.

• Kevin Gillman - Mar 17, 2013 at 10:49 PM

A World Series Ring, possibly?

• db105 - Mar 18, 2013 at 2:33 AM

Being overly cautious hinders the developement of a player.

• Kevin S. - Mar 18, 2013 at 7:53 AM

You find Strasburg to be underdeveloped?

4. spg3081 - Mar 17, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Unclemoses – I’m not sure how they cost themselves a shot at the playoffs by shutting Strasburg down. You know, since they won their division. And starting pitching was clearly not a weakness in the playoffs.

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 17, 2013 at 3:29 PM

If they had a sarcasm font, you’d know that I know all that. However – I know that you know that I know that, so I can clearly not choose the glass in front of me.

I’m just warming up!

• ptfu - Mar 17, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Don’t start a land war in Asia.

All the trade deadline news to know