Mar 17, 2013, 9:37 AM EDT
The Nationals handled Stephen Strasburg with the ultimate level of care last season, only allowing him to throw more than 100 pitches in a game a handful of times and ultimately cutting him off at 159 1/3 total frames. It was a smart strategy for a prized pitcher coming off Tommy John surgery, but the ace right-hander is looking forward to a little more freedom.
“I’m not trying to get out there and get used to throwing 90, 94 pitches,” Strasburg told Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post on Saturday in Nationals camp. “You look at some of the top pitchers in the game, they go at least 110 every time out. I’m going to be prepared for it. … Just got to keep working, keep grinding.”
Strasburg has a 2.94 ERA and 1.09 WHIP in 45 career starts. He has fanned 313 batters in 251 1/3 career innings. And he is just now being let loose. It’s a frightening thought for the rest of the National League.
Sep 1, 2015, 11:34 PM EDT
Would it endanger or enlighten Berrios’ career to give him a few starts in a postseason race?
Sep 1, 2015, 10:49 PM EDT
It was Cal Ripken Jr. Night on Tuesday at Baltimore’s Camden Yards, with the Orioles celebrating the 20th anniversary of Ripken taking over Lou Gehrig’s record for consecutive games played …
Sep 1, 2015, 10:05 PM EDT
Stanton has been on the disabled list since June 27 because of a broken hamate bone in his right hand.
Sep 1, 2015, 9:12 PM EDT
And he did it on the night the O’s are celebrating the 20th anniversary of Cal Ripken breaking Lou Gehrig’s record for consecutive games played.
Sep 1, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
Adam Rubin of ESPN New York shares the plan …
Sep 1, 2015, 7:44 PM EDT
The reworking of the Red Sox has already begun under new club president Dave Dombrowski.
Sep 1, 2015, 6:51 PM EDT
It was a rather uneventful triple play as far as triple plays go, but cool and rare nonetheless …
Sep 1, 2015, 6:07 PM EDT
From beat writer Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com …
Sep 1, 2015, 5:17 PM EDT
Teixeira has started just one game since fouling a ball off his shin two weeks ago.
Sep 1, 2015, 4:54 PM EDT
Kelvin Herrera and Alex Rios are already infected and will could miss up to two weeks.
Sep 1, 2015, 3:41 PM EDT
Gordon missed two months with a groin injury.
Sep 1, 2015, 3:05 PM EDT
He deserves to be in already.
Sep 1, 2015, 2:39 PM EDT
Olivera was traded from the Dodgers to the Braves as part of July’s three-team, 13-player deal.
Sep 1, 2015, 12:14 PM EDT
Former Rookie of the Year and All-Star closer.
Sep 1, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT
Wait — he wasn’t with the Dodgers already?
Sep 1, 2015, 11:28 AM EDT
“It wouldn’t surprise me if Jessica’s a regular on Sunday, Monday or Wednesday night baseball, whenever the time comes,” Kruk said.
Sep 1, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
It’s pretty nice. But it also cost $1.6M.
Sep 1, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
He’s running out of time.
Sep 1, 2015, 9:40 AM EDT
At least he claims he did. Hmmmmm . . .
Sep 1, 2015, 9:10 AM EDT
Bananas: an essential element in Team Chemistry.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 23
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)