Mar 17, 2013, 9:37 AM EDT
The Nationals handled Stephen Strasburg with the ultimate level of care last season, only allowing him to throw more than 100 pitches in a game a handful of times and ultimately cutting him off at 159 1/3 total frames. It was a smart strategy for a prized pitcher coming off Tommy John surgery, but the ace right-hander is looking forward to a little more freedom.
“I’m not trying to get out there and get used to throwing 90, 94 pitches,” Strasburg told Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post on Saturday in Nationals camp. “You look at some of the top pitchers in the game, they go at least 110 every time out. I’m going to be prepared for it. … Just got to keep working, keep grinding.”
Strasburg has a 2.94 ERA and 1.09 WHIP in 45 career starts. He has fanned 313 batters in 251 1/3 career innings. And he is just now being let loose. It’s a frightening thought for the rest of the National League.
Jul 28, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Voters who are more than 10 years removed from covering the game will no longer get to vote in Hall of Fame elections
Jul 28, 2015, 4:17 PM EDT
Hamels threw a no-hitter against Cubs on Saturday.
Jul 28, 2015, 4:09 PM EDT
The Nats may soon have too solid closers.
Jul 28, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
And he thinks Carlos Gonzalez is the next one out the door. He’s probably right.
Jul 28, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
Designated for assignment by the Giants last week.
Jul 28, 2015, 3:29 PM EDT
Why, I have no idea.
Jul 28, 2015, 2:40 PM EDT
General manager Dayton Moore is not messing around.
Jul 28, 2015, 1:01 PM EDT
Washington or elsewhere?
Jul 28, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT
Coors Field is powerful, but Tulowitzki is great anywhere.
Jul 28, 2015, 11:33 AM EDT
He would be a nice addition to the Nats’ pen, but a costly one given his $13 million vesting option.
Jul 28, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT
Swanson was scheduled to join a minor-league team later this week after signing for $6.5 million.
Jul 28, 2015, 11:08 AM EDT
He had a right to be angry, but maybe he overdid it a bit?
Jul 28, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
Washington is getting healthier, but still not quite healthy.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:37 AM EDT
Great Moments in Rounding Error?
Jul 28, 2015, 10:11 AM EDT
His last five games have been insane.
Jul 28, 2015, 9:50 AM EDT
Dealing him — along with the rumors that they’d consider dealing Yasiel Puig — would continue a trend that Andrew Friedman began when he took over.
Jul 28, 2015, 9:19 AM EDT
Or they’re making a push to make the Dodgers’ life complicated. Either way.
Jul 28, 2015, 9:10 AM EDT
The trade happened just after the game. Did Rockies ownership consult Tulowitzki on it, as they said they would?
Jul 28, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
They could’ve topped what Toronto gave Colorado for Troy Tulowitzki. Heck, most teams could’ve. Why didn’t they?
Jul 28, 2015, 7:23 AM EDT
Kris Bryant walked the Rockies off and then the Rockies sent Troy Tulowitzki off.
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 9
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 79
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 38
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 90
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 19
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)