Mar 17, 2013, 7:34 PM EDT
Opening Day for the Mets could be very uninspiring. With Johan Santana unlikely to be ready, it is looking like David Wright and Daniel Murphy could join him on the bench, according to ESPN’s Adam Rubin:
If David Wright and Murphy both open the season on the DL, Collins added, he likely would use Justin Turner at third base and Valdespin at second base to open the season. After Valdespin dabbled in the outfield in Grapefruit League games, Collins has restored him to second base because of Murphy’s situation.
Valdespin, who homered to lead off the bottom of the first and reached base in all three of his plate appearances Sunday, also likely would lead off. He also had a leadoff homer against Justin Verlander last Monday.
Valdespin hit .241 with a .286 on-base percentage in 206 plate appearances with the Mets last year as a 24-year-old rookie. Turner, who last got regular playing time as a starter in 2011, has a career .678 OPS. Needless to say, downgrading from Wright and Murphy to Turner and Valdespin will be a blow to the lineup.
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 40
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 26
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 25
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 131
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 76
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (198)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (131)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)