Mar 17, 2013, 12:54 PM EDT
Diaz went 6-for-30 (.200/.250/.200) this year in the Grapefruit League, netting zero extra-base hits. The 35-year-old will hope to catch on with a new team that is willing to give him a shot at a bench spot.
The release of Diaz increases the odds of Ben Francisco cracking the Yankees’ Opening Day roster as a backup outfielder. Brennan Boesch is expected to start in left field until Curtis Granderson (forearm) returns and Juan Rivera is likely to take the majority of starts at first base until Mark Teixeira (wrist) is ready. Go Bombers?
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 0
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 1
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 23
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 79
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)