Mar 17, 2013, 4:08 PM EDT
Dodgers right-hander Zack Greinke took a step in the right direction on Saturday afternoon, playing catch for the first time since undergoing platelet-rich plasma treatment on his sore pitching elbow early last week. This afternoon, the progress continued.
According to Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times, Greinke threw “about 40 pitches” in a bullpen session Sunday in Dodgers camp. The workout was supervised by pitching coach Rick Honeycutt and manager Don Mattingly, and the reviews were positive all around. Most importantly, Greinke didn’t experience any sort of discomfort in his right arm.
“I’m just doing what’s laid out,” Greinke said after the workout when he was asked by a reporter whether he’s going to be available for his scheduled April 2 start against the Giants. “Our team, we got other starting pitchers. They’re going to weigh all that and decide when I’m going to pitch and stuff. … I want to do what’s best for the team. It’s not important what day.”
The 29-year-old inked a six-year, $147 million free agent contract with the Dodgers this offseason.
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 1
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 2
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 59
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games