Mar 17, 2013, 4:08 PM EST
Dodgers right-hander Zack Greinke took a step in the right direction on Saturday afternoon, playing catch for the first time since undergoing platelet-rich plasma treatment on his sore pitching elbow early last week. This afternoon, the progress continued.
According to Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times, Greinke threw “about 40 pitches” in a bullpen session Sunday in Dodgers camp. The workout was supervised by pitching coach Rick Honeycutt and manager Don Mattingly, and the reviews were positive all around. Most importantly, Greinke didn’t experience any sort of discomfort in his right arm.
“I’m just doing what’s laid out,” Greinke said after the workout when he was asked by a reporter whether he’s going to be available for his scheduled April 2 start against the Giants. “Our team, we got other starting pitchers. They’re going to weigh all that and decide when I’m going to pitch and stuff. … I want to do what’s best for the team. It’s not important what day.”
The 29-year-old inked a six-year, $147 million free agent contract with the Dodgers this offseason.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)