Mar 17, 2013, 4:08 PM EST
Dodgers right-hander Zack Greinke took a step in the right direction on Saturday afternoon, playing catch for the first time since undergoing platelet-rich plasma treatment on his sore pitching elbow early last week. This afternoon, the progress continued.
According to Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times, Greinke threw “about 40 pitches” in a bullpen session Sunday in Dodgers camp. The workout was supervised by pitching coach Rick Honeycutt and manager Don Mattingly, and the reviews were positive all around. Most importantly, Greinke didn’t experience any sort of discomfort in his right arm.
“I’m just doing what’s laid out,” Greinke said after the workout when he was asked by a reporter whether he’s going to be available for his scheduled April 2 start against the Giants. “Our team, we got other starting pitchers. They’re going to weigh all that and decide when I’m going to pitch and stuff. … I want to do what’s best for the team. It’s not important what day.”
The 29-year-old inked a six-year, $147 million free agent contract with the Dodgers this offseason.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)