Mar 18, 2013, 6:41 PM EDT
UPDATE: Padres general manager Josh Byrnes told Bill Center of the San Diego Union-Tribune that the four-week timetable is “optimistic” and that Headley could miss as much as six weeks. Yikes.
6:41 PM: Unfortunate news coming out of Padres’ camp.
According to Corey Brock of MLB.com, Chase Headley was diagnosed with a small fracture in his left thumb and could miss a month. The 28-year-old jammed his thumb yesterday while trying to break up a double play at second base and was sent back to San Diego this morning to see a hand specialist.
The current timeline places Headley’s return around mid-to-late April. It’s unclear how the Padres will handle third base during his absence, but Jedd Gyorko, Logan Forsythe and James Darnell could all be in the mix.
Headley is coming off a breakthrough season in which he batted .286/.376/.498 with 31 home runs, 115 RBI and an .875 OPS. He finished fifth in the NL MVP balloting and also won his first Gold Glove Award.
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 17
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 4
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 62
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 13
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games