Mar 18, 2013, 6:41 PM EST
UPDATE: Padres general manager Josh Byrnes told Bill Center of the San Diego Union-Tribune that the four-week timetable is “optimistic” and that Headley could miss as much as six weeks. Yikes.
6:41 PM: Unfortunate news coming out of Padres’ camp.
According to Corey Brock of MLB.com, Chase Headley was diagnosed with a small fracture in his left thumb and could miss a month. The 28-year-old jammed his thumb yesterday while trying to break up a double play at second base and was sent back to San Diego this morning to see a hand specialist.
The current timeline places Headley’s return around mid-to-late April. It’s unclear how the Padres will handle third base during his absence, but Jedd Gyorko, Logan Forsythe and James Darnell could all be in the mix.
Headley is coming off a breakthrough season in which he batted .286/.376/.498 with 31 home runs, 115 RBI and an .875 OPS. He finished fifth in the NL MVP balloting and also won his first Gold Glove Award.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)