Mar 18, 2013, 6:41 PM EST
UPDATE: Padres general manager Josh Byrnes told Bill Center of the San Diego Union-Tribune that the four-week timetable is “optimistic” and that Headley could miss as much as six weeks. Yikes.
6:41 PM: Unfortunate news coming out of Padres’ camp.
According to Corey Brock of MLB.com, Chase Headley was diagnosed with a small fracture in his left thumb and could miss a month. The 28-year-old jammed his thumb yesterday while trying to break up a double play at second base and was sent back to San Diego this morning to see a hand specialist.
The current timeline places Headley’s return around mid-to-late April. It’s unclear how the Padres will handle third base during his absence, but Jedd Gyorko, Logan Forsythe and James Darnell could all be in the mix.
Headley is coming off a breakthrough season in which he batted .286/.376/.498 with 31 home runs, 115 RBI and an .875 OPS. He finished fifth in the NL MVP balloting and also won his first Gold Glove Award.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 64
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 120
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 79
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 156
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- So Curt Schilling spent his evening arguing against the theory of evolution (165)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (156)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)