Mar 18, 2013, 9:43 AM EST
We learned yesterday that Chase Headley had jammed his thumb trying to break up a double play in a game and would be day-to-day. That prognosis has been downgraded, reports Corey Brock of MLB.com: manager Bud Black says that Headley needs “X-rays and maybe some other scans” and that he may now miss Opening Day.
Losing Headley for an extended period would be a big blow to the Padres, both for competitive reasons and, if the team is not competitive, because Headley stands to be a much sought-after trade chit this summer.
Last year he hit 31 home runs with a league-leading 115 RBI, earning himself a fifth-place finish in NL MVP award balloting.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)