Mar 18, 2013, 9:43 AM EST
We learned yesterday that Chase Headley had jammed his thumb trying to break up a double play in a game and would be day-to-day. That prognosis has been downgraded, reports Corey Brock of MLB.com: manager Bud Black says that Headley needs “X-rays and maybe some other scans” and that he may now miss Opening Day.
Losing Headley for an extended period would be a big blow to the Padres, both for competitive reasons and, if the team is not competitive, because Headley stands to be a much sought-after trade chit this summer.
Last year he hit 31 home runs with a league-leading 115 RBI, earning himself a fifth-place finish in NL MVP award balloting.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 4
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 291
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (293)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)