Mar 18, 2013, 9:43 AM EST
We learned yesterday that Chase Headley had jammed his thumb trying to break up a double play in a game and would be day-to-day. That prognosis has been downgraded, reports Corey Brock of MLB.com: manager Bud Black says that Headley needs “X-rays and maybe some other scans” and that he may now miss Opening Day.
Losing Headley for an extended period would be a big blow to the Padres, both for competitive reasons and, if the team is not competitive, because Headley stands to be a much sought-after trade chit this summer.
Last year he hit 31 home runs with a league-leading 115 RBI, earning himself a fifth-place finish in NL MVP award balloting.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 18
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 41
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 103
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)