Mar 18, 2013, 9:43 AM EDT
We learned yesterday that Chase Headley had jammed his thumb trying to break up a double play in a game and would be day-to-day. That prognosis has been downgraded, reports Corey Brock of MLB.com: manager Bud Black says that Headley needs “X-rays and maybe some other scans” and that he may now miss Opening Day.
Losing Headley for an extended period would be a big blow to the Padres, both for competitive reasons and, if the team is not competitive, because Headley stands to be a much sought-after trade chit this summer.
Last year he hit 31 home runs with a league-leading 115 RBI, earning himself a fifth-place finish in NL MVP award balloting.
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 32
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 77
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 26
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 25
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 131
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 76
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (198)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (131)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)