Mar 18, 2013, 9:43 AM EDT
We learned yesterday that Chase Headley had jammed his thumb trying to break up a double play in a game and would be day-to-day. That prognosis has been downgraded, reports Corey Brock of MLB.com: manager Bud Black says that Headley needs “X-rays and maybe some other scans” and that he may now miss Opening Day.
Losing Headley for an extended period would be a big blow to the Padres, both for competitive reasons and, if the team is not competitive, because Headley stands to be a much sought-after trade chit this summer.
Last year he hit 31 home runs with a league-leading 115 RBI, earning himself a fifth-place finish in NL MVP award balloting.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (119)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)