Chris Carpenter says he’s likely to never pitch again

Mar 18, 2013, 2:02 PM EDT

Chris Carpenter Reuters

Given his diagnosis and the “it’s basically all over” comments from Mike Matheny and John Mozeliak last month, it’s not a terribly surprise to hear Chris Carpenter say this when he paid a visit to Cardinals’ camp today, but he said it all the same. Derrick Goold of the Post-Dispatch:

Asked if he sees a way back to the ballpark as a player, Carpenter did not sound hopeful.

“I do (want to keep playing),” Carpenter said. “I don’t think I can.”

Carpenter missed most of 2012 following midseason surgery for thoracic outlet syndrome. He came back in September and pitched in the postseason.  But as he was gearing up his offseason workouts, the setbacks and, in all likelihood, the end presented themselves.

1. dowhatifeellike - Mar 18, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Sad. When I was a wee lad I saw him in a couple relief appearances (’98 i think) and he looked like he could have been someone really special. He did pretty well for himself but I wonder what his career would have looked like without the injuries.

2. randygnyc - Mar 18, 2013 at 2:27 PM

It’s a shame when a fierce competitor bows out due to injury or age, but its to be expected. No one is immune. No one.

• proudlycanadian - Mar 18, 2013 at 3:05 PM

It that why you quit your night job Randy?

3. phillyfour4four - Mar 18, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Sad day to hear this from Carpenter. It makes you wonder how much (if any) Doc has left in his tank.

• gopherz - Mar 18, 2013 at 9:12 PM

carp was OVERRATED and a hot head?

4. stlouis1baseball - Mar 18, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Sad day indeed. But certainly not surprising. I am forever grateful for everything he brought to the table.
    Dude is a warrior. But if I was going to go out…I would want to go out like he did in his last full season of MLB. Literally carried the team on his back while pitching what seemed like 500 innings…and ultimately picking up another title. I hope he stays with the organization.

• salvomania - Mar 18, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Literally carried the team on his back

I was at that game when he did this–and it was amazing.

He came out of the dugout carrying the entire rest of the starting lineup on his back—more than 1500 pounds, easily—and he then deposited each one at his respective position, and the crowd went nuts.

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 18, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Yep…then he was finished.
        Of course…
        Carrying the entire team on your back while pitching 500 innings will do that to a guy.
        It’s hard on your back, your knees and your neck.

5. randygnyc - Mar 18, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Proudly- I’ve been pretty fortunate. Never had a night job. Been a real estate professional, with the same NYC company for the past 25 years. I have the utmost respect for those that earn an honest living instead of turning to illegal alternatives.

6. jimmymarlinsfan - Mar 18, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Good luck to Chris. Met him at a charity baseball dinner and he is absolutely a gentle giant and a very kind hearted man

7. okwhitefalcon - Mar 18, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Probably the best, most feared, meanest SOB Cards starting pitcher since Gibson.

Not a bad comp.

8. paperlions - Mar 18, 2013 at 4:50 PM

In his chat today Derrick Goold of the StL PD said that he can confirm that “The Cardinals do not see either of the Houston Astros pitchers mentioned as an upgrade — in ability, and also in terms of control — than the pitchers already in house.”

When asked about the “depth to the Betancourt interest”, he said, “Not even kiddie pool depth.”….but, you know, this is just the guy that is camped out at their ST facility and that talks to everyone in the organization from the groundskeepers to the owner on a regular basis, so….he’s not nearly as good a source as Gammons or Cafardo.

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 18, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Wonderful news Paper. Thanks for sharing.

• paperlions - Mar 18, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Honestly, I assumed both rumors were complete BS….they just didn’t fit at all with Mo’s MO…not the timing, not the players themselves….it was just weird….still, I was worried. I thought the signings of Choate, Willingham, and Cedeno were all bad too (especially Willingham, 2 years for a guy that can’t hit or field?)….so…I was worried that Mo just got stupid. or something.

9. gopherz - Mar 18, 2013 at 9:08 PM

mo did not just get stupid?

10. gmfw7 - Mar 19, 2013 at 9:56 AM

this sucks. no other way to put it. as much as i hate carp for out dueling doc in the 2011 NLDS, i’ve always respected him as a competitor and as a man. it’s a sad day to see one of the true workhorses of the last decade have to end his career like this. i wonder how close behind doc is? they came in together, were teammates, best friends and competitors and now it looks like it’s all gonna end for both at the same time. sad.

Can Nationals run the playoff table?
  1. D. Jeter (3407)