Mar 18, 2013, 4:16 PM EST
No word yet from Capps, but Matsuzaka has told the team he’ll head to the minors, no doubt realizing that the Indians aren’t exactly overflowing with great rotation options and it won’t take much to get a call-up at some point.
And according to Jordan Bastian of MLB.com Matsuzaka will also get a $100,000 bonus for accepting the assignment, with the ability to opt out of his contract if he’s not in the majors by June 1.
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 19
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 62
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)