Mar 18, 2013, 3:02 PM EST
Team officials refuse to confirm until all plans are finalized, but a person aware of the process said that Wright would want to speak with teammates before officially accepting such an honor. Also, it has not yet been decided whether Wright will wear a “C” on his jersey, such as former Boston catcher Jason Varitek, or simply receive the title, such as Derek Jeter.
Still unclear is what the hell a Captain does on a baseball team. I mean, I think he gets to call it at the coin toss before each game. Or maybe he is the only person on the ice who gets to talk to the refs about the rules and such. But I simply do not know!
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)