Mar 18, 2013, 3:02 PM EDT
Team officials refuse to confirm until all plans are finalized, but a person aware of the process said that Wright would want to speak with teammates before officially accepting such an honor. Also, it has not yet been decided whether Wright will wear a “C” on his jersey, such as former Boston catcher Jason Varitek, or simply receive the title, such as Derek Jeter.
Still unclear is what the hell a Captain does on a baseball team. I mean, I think he gets to call it at the coin toss before each game. Or maybe he is the only person on the ice who gets to talk to the refs about the rules and such. But I simply do not know!
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 8
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 13
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)