Mar 18, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
Skaggs started six games for the Diamondbacks in August and September last season, but he’s only 21 years old and has just nine Triple-A starts under his belt. Baseball America ranked Skaggs as a top-15 prospect this year and last year, but the Diamondbacks have good enough rotation depth that rushing the left-hander would make little sense.
Last season between Double-A and Triple-A he threw 122 innings with a 2.87 ERA and 116/37 K/BB ratio, but Skaggs allowed 20 runs in 29 innings during his first taste of the majors and struggled this spring.
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 39
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 74
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 45
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 75
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 26
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (101)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)