Mar 18, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
Skaggs started six games for the Diamondbacks in August and September last season, but he’s only 21 years old and has just nine Triple-A starts under his belt. Baseball America ranked Skaggs as a top-15 prospect this year and last year, but the Diamondbacks have good enough rotation depth that rushing the left-hander would make little sense.
Last season between Double-A and Triple-A he threw 122 innings with a 2.87 ERA and 116/37 K/BB ratio, but Skaggs allowed 20 runs in 29 innings during his first taste of the majors and struggled this spring.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 1
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 134
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 19
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 48
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 49
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (163)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)