Mar 18, 2013, 12:48 PM EDT
Hank Conger is a former first-round pick and a pretty good prospect who appeared in line to serve as the Angels’ backup catcher this season at age 25, but instead his throwing problems have the team looking for alternatives behind the plate.
Kevin Baxter of the Los Angeles Times notes that Conger is 0-for-6 throwing out runners and has committed four throwing errors this spring, which has unfortunately overshadowed his hitting .417.
Conger has thrown out 30 percent of steal attempts in 202 career games at Triple-A, but has also committed 24 errors.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)