Mar 18, 2013, 12:48 PM EST
Hank Conger is a former first-round pick and a pretty good prospect who appeared in line to serve as the Angels’ backup catcher this season at age 25, but instead his throwing problems have the team looking for alternatives behind the plate.
Kevin Baxter of the Los Angeles Times notes that Conger is 0-for-6 throwing out runners and has committed four throwing errors this spring, which has unfortunately overshadowed his hitting .417.
Conger has thrown out 30 percent of steal attempts in 202 career games at Triple-A, but has also committed 24 errors.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 161
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)