Mar 18, 2013, 1:20 PM EDT
According to Jordan Bastian of MLB.com the Indians are hoping both veterans accept assignments to the minors, which would come with $100,000 bonuses and opt-out clauses if they aren’t called up to the majors by June 1.
Matsuzaka was in the running for a rotation spot that may now go to fellow reclamation project Scott Kazmir, while Capps was competing for a middle relief gig after years as a closer.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 52
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)