Mar 18, 2013, 1:20 PM EDT
According to Jordan Bastian of MLB.com the Indians are hoping both veterans accept assignments to the minors, which would come with $100,000 bonuses and opt-out clauses if they aren’t called up to the majors by June 1.
Matsuzaka was in the running for a rotation spot that may now go to fellow reclamation project Scott Kazmir, while Capps was competing for a middle relief gig after years as a closer.
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 0
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 104
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 35
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 31
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 97
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 70
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)