Mar 18, 2013, 1:20 PM EST
According to Jordan Bastian of MLB.com the Indians are hoping both veterans accept assignments to the minors, which would come with $100,000 bonuses and opt-out clauses if they aren’t called up to the majors by June 1.
Matsuzaka was in the running for a rotation spot that may now go to fellow reclamation project Scott Kazmir, while Capps was competing for a middle relief gig after years as a closer.
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano 76
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (98)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (87)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (80)