Lance Lynn shows that being in the Best Shape of Your Life has some disadvantages

Mar 18, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT

St. Louis Cardinals starting pitcher Lance Lynn works from the mound against the New York Yankees in Tampa

Like, how to pitch without 40 pounds you used to have on that frame of yoursDerrick Goold of the Post-Dispatch reports:

Lynn’s slimmer physique has given him more flexibility in his windup, and the results have been inconsistent as he tries to get used to the movements of his lighter look.

“When you have a different body type you’re going to have a little more flexibility compared to the lack of flexibility at times I’ve had in the past,” Lynn said. “It’s knowing now where and how far I can push things. We’re still getting to when (I) try to make a pitch I’m striding too far at times. The delivery is getting there. It’s just off a touch.”

So far this spring Lynn has surrendered 20 hits in 12 innings and has posted an ERA of 7.50.  Not good, but if every other pitcher can claim that he’s “working on some things,” Lynn certainly can. Like, where the momentum has to come from with that much less mass. Let alone what to do with an arm that gets from back to front that much quicker thanks to being able to take a straight line path rather than move around the older, bigger body.

1. professormaddog31 - Mar 18, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Which is why sometimes you just let a guy be whatever shape he is. Boomer Wells is the perfect example of that. CC Sabathia, too. On the flip side, I worry about Chris Sale gaining weight, although he is in desperate need of a sandwich (or seven).

2. The Dangerous Mabry - Mar 18, 2013 at 12:41 PM

My memory may be off here, but I seem to remember something similar happening with Sid Fernandez throughout his career. He’d lose weight, pitch poorly, put on some weight, pitch great, put on more weight, hurt his knee, lose weight to help the knee, and start the cycle again.

Some guys just pitch better heavy.

3. spudchukar - Mar 18, 2013 at 12:50 PM

The “pitch better heavy” argument falls on deaf ears here. As the season progresses and adjustments are made, the leaner version of Lynn will show its benefits. Good on you Lance, dropping 40 pounds in 4 months is no easy task. Kudos.

• paperlions - Mar 18, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Plus, he was just too fat for such a young guy, carrying that much weight just isn’t a good idea if you can carry less….hopefully, he adjusts his mechanics to get his performance back to where it was.

• gibbyfan - Mar 18, 2013 at 2:48 PM

I hear you Paper and hope you are right —honestly –But as a long time fan there is something that tells me he will not be in the rotation long –my take is that he burst on the scene and overpowered guys for th efirst half—dont think he is known to have a lot of movement on the ball and if that’s is and stays true……………

4. heyblueyoustink - Mar 18, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Maybe I’ll have better keyboard command and speed if I throw down a couple of Baconators and a large Frosty.

5. gibbyfan - Mar 18, 2013 at 1:17 PM

I am a big Card fan so hate to keep saying what I have been posting on here but I truly think the first half last year was a bit of a fluke…I just dont think either Lynn or Westybrook will make much of a contribution and I worry about Garcia –Hopefully the abundance of young talent will bail them out–if not they will miss Lohse. Hope I’m wrong.

• paperlions - Mar 18, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Guys generally don’t finish 2nd among all NL starters in K/IP on accident. Pitchers might get lucky on balls in play for a year, but if you can miss bats, that usually isn’t fluky.

• okwhitefalcon - Mar 18, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Exactly.

From all accounts, the Cards think Lynn can be an innings horse with the capability to put guys away.

6. spetznaz777 - Mar 18, 2013 at 1:34 PM

granted he won 18 games last year but i think miller and kelly deserve spots in the rotation more than he does. hes just a long reliever at best.

• okwhitefalcon - Mar 18, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Deserve? Based on what?

They’re not going to demote a guy with the K/IP (thanks pape) rate or the innings capabilites Lynn posesses unless he pitches his way out of the rotation.

Both Kelly and Miller will get their shots (one’s going to be the fifth starter regardless) soon enough.

Being forced to have them both in the rotation directly out of spring would be serious cause for alarm.

• spudchukar - Mar 18, 2013 at 6:15 PM

The real question is how best to use Lynn. He has excelled in the pen, but there is such a glut of wealth there, it is hard to see him moving there, but what is comforting is knowing he can do both.

If Lynn can perfect a third pitch, he may very well become one of the best starters in the NL, and he must continue his success on strike one. The two go hand in hand, get ahead and then gain confidence using off-speed stuff through use.

Regarding Miller, he has great upside, but I would like to see him perfect AAA before inserting him in the rotation.

7. sfm073 - Mar 18, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Why do cardinal fans always try to predict what a player will do in his career. I remember Danny harren was nothing more than a 5th starter, Jon jay was nothing more than a 4th outfielder etc etc… Lynn has been very successful so far, why write him off so early in his career?

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3674)