Mar 18, 2013, 1:34 PM EDT
We all know that Jeff Conine is “Mr. Marlin.” At least I hope we know that, because that sort of thing is worth knowing. But who is the “Mr.____” of all the other teams? Rob Neyer takes a stab at it today over at Baseball Nation. And it’s a pretty good stab.
There are a few some might take issue with, of course. I bet if you asked 100 Reds fans of a certain age who their “Mr. Red” is 87 of them would say Pete Rose and not Johnny Bench, but since Rose is excluded from everything else I get why he’s excluded here. I tend to think that “Mr. Yankee” should be someone who never wore another team’s uniform, so I’d probably go with Gehrig or DiMaggio over Ruth. After all, this isn’t about the best player, just the one that typifies the franchise in some important way.
Anyway, fun mental exercise.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 30
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 56
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)