Mar 18, 2013, 1:34 PM EST
We all know that Jeff Conine is “Mr. Marlin.” At least I hope we know that, because that sort of thing is worth knowing. But who is the “Mr.____” of all the other teams? Rob Neyer takes a stab at it today over at Baseball Nation. And it’s a pretty good stab.
There are a few some might take issue with, of course. I bet if you asked 100 Reds fans of a certain age who their “Mr. Red” is 87 of them would say Pete Rose and not Johnny Bench, but since Rose is excluded from everything else I get why he’s excluded here. I tend to think that “Mr. Yankee” should be someone who never wore another team’s uniform, so I’d probably go with Gehrig or DiMaggio over Ruth. After all, this isn’t about the best player, just the one that typifies the franchise in some important way.
Anyway, fun mental exercise.
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 42
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 108
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Dodgers cut Brian Wilson and his $9.5 million salary 53
- Royals and Alex Rios agree to one-year, $11 million contract 16
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. 95
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (114)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Jon Lester goes to Cubs for $155 million over six years (99)