Mar 18, 2013, 9:05 PM EST
Pablo Sandoval was sent for tests today after the Giants scratched him from yesterday’s lineup due to soreness in his right elbow and tingling in his fingers. For now, the diagnosis appears favorable.
According to Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle, Sandoval was diagnosed with an irritated nerve in his arm and will rest and receive treatment over the next few days. The Giants haven’t officially confirmed whether structural damage has been ruled out, but Schulman believes that the prognosis implies that it has. In other words, Opening Day isn’t in danger at the moment.
Sandoval hasn’t played in more than 117 games in a season since 2010. Since he doesn’t have any hamate bones left to break, the Giants are hoping they can get more out of their talented third baseman in 2013.
UPDATE: Giants manager Bruce Bochy told Schulman that the official diagnosis is ulnar neuritis, which is inflammation of the nerve that runs through the elbow. He will receive treatment and be reevaluated later in the week. Bochy added that he hasn’t heard anything about bone chips in the elbow.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)