Mar 18, 2013, 9:05 PM EDT
Pablo Sandoval was sent for tests today after the Giants scratched him from yesterday’s lineup due to soreness in his right elbow and tingling in his fingers. For now, the diagnosis appears favorable.
According to Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle, Sandoval was diagnosed with an irritated nerve in his arm and will rest and receive treatment over the next few days. The Giants haven’t officially confirmed whether structural damage has been ruled out, but Schulman believes that the prognosis implies that it has. In other words, Opening Day isn’t in danger at the moment.
Sandoval hasn’t played in more than 117 games in a season since 2010. Since he doesn’t have any hamate bones left to break, the Giants are hoping they can get more out of their talented third baseman in 2013.
UPDATE: Giants manager Bruce Bochy told Schulman that the official diagnosis is ulnar neuritis, which is inflammation of the nerve that runs through the elbow. He will receive treatment and be reevaluated later in the week. Bochy added that he hasn’t heard anything about bone chips in the elbow.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 16
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 11
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 40
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires