Mar 18, 2013, 9:05 PM EST
Pablo Sandoval was sent for tests today after the Giants scratched him from yesterday’s lineup due to soreness in his right elbow and tingling in his fingers. For now, the diagnosis appears favorable.
According to Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle, Sandoval was diagnosed with an irritated nerve in his arm and will rest and receive treatment over the next few days. The Giants haven’t officially confirmed whether structural damage has been ruled out, but Schulman believes that the prognosis implies that it has. In other words, Opening Day isn’t in danger at the moment.
Sandoval hasn’t played in more than 117 games in a season since 2010. Since he doesn’t have any hamate bones left to break, the Giants are hoping they can get more out of their talented third baseman in 2013.
UPDATE: Giants manager Bruce Bochy told Schulman that the official diagnosis is ulnar neuritis, which is inflammation of the nerve that runs through the elbow. He will receive treatment and be reevaluated later in the week. Bochy added that he hasn’t heard anything about bone chips in the elbow.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 161
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)