Mar 18, 2013, 4:30 PM EDT
This is something that, had it happened in the 80s or even the 90s, might have gained some traction. But now? Seems like a longshot to put it mildly. From David Kaplan of CSNChicago.com:
Rosemont mayor Brad Stephens told me this morning in a CSNChicago exclusive that he is willing to give the Cubs and the Ricketts family a 25-acre parcel of land in the village that is a prime piece of real estate large enough to accommodate a new ballpark as well as parking and anything else the Ricketts family would desire to have as a part of the new complex.
Kaplan talks to Mayor Stephens, who spends more time talking smack about the difficulties the Cubs are having with the city of Chicago as he does the viability of the Cubs moving out to Rosemont, which is next to O’Hare Airport. Actually, he spends no time talking about the viability of it apart from saying that Rosemont is “pro-business,” which it is based on how many corporations and offices and things are out there. It’s worth noting also that Rosemont, home of Allstate Area (formerly the Rosemont Horizon) is pretty pro-sports too.
For their part, the Cubs issued a statement saying that they’re interested in working something out with Chicago. Not in the statement: how nice it is, all the same, to have some suburban mayor making offers like this for purposes of leverage-creation.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 4
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 30
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 5
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 12
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 101
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)