Mar 18, 2013, 4:30 PM EDT
This is something that, had it happened in the 80s or even the 90s, might have gained some traction. But now? Seems like a longshot to put it mildly. From David Kaplan of CSNChicago.com:
Rosemont mayor Brad Stephens told me this morning in a CSNChicago exclusive that he is willing to give the Cubs and the Ricketts family a 25-acre parcel of land in the village that is a prime piece of real estate large enough to accommodate a new ballpark as well as parking and anything else the Ricketts family would desire to have as a part of the new complex.
Kaplan talks to Mayor Stephens, who spends more time talking smack about the difficulties the Cubs are having with the city of Chicago as he does the viability of the Cubs moving out to Rosemont, which is next to O’Hare Airport. Actually, he spends no time talking about the viability of it apart from saying that Rosemont is “pro-business,” which it is based on how many corporations and offices and things are out there. It’s worth noting also that Rosemont, home of Allstate Area (formerly the Rosemont Horizon) is pretty pro-sports too.
For their part, the Cubs issued a statement saying that they’re interested in working something out with Chicago. Not in the statement: how nice it is, all the same, to have some suburban mayor making offers like this for purposes of leverage-creation.
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 16
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 15
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 41
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 48
- Mike Trout hits two homers, including a grand slam, to take MLB lead 13
- Zack Greinke’s scoreless innings streak ends at 45 2/3 7
- Royals acquire ace Johnny Cueto from the Reds 71
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)