Mar 18, 2013, 4:30 PM EDT
This is something that, had it happened in the 80s or even the 90s, might have gained some traction. But now? Seems like a longshot to put it mildly. From David Kaplan of CSNChicago.com:
Rosemont mayor Brad Stephens told me this morning in a CSNChicago exclusive that he is willing to give the Cubs and the Ricketts family a 25-acre parcel of land in the village that is a prime piece of real estate large enough to accommodate a new ballpark as well as parking and anything else the Ricketts family would desire to have as a part of the new complex.
Kaplan talks to Mayor Stephens, who spends more time talking smack about the difficulties the Cubs are having with the city of Chicago as he does the viability of the Cubs moving out to Rosemont, which is next to O’Hare Airport. Actually, he spends no time talking about the viability of it apart from saying that Rosemont is “pro-business,” which it is based on how many corporations and offices and things are out there. It’s worth noting also that Rosemont, home of Allstate Area (formerly the Rosemont Horizon) is pretty pro-sports too.
For their part, the Cubs issued a statement saying that they’re interested in working something out with Chicago. Not in the statement: how nice it is, all the same, to have some suburban mayor making offers like this for purposes of leverage-creation.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 52
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 11
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 46
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 47
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)