Mar 18, 2013, 4:30 PM EDT
This is something that, had it happened in the 80s or even the 90s, might have gained some traction. But now? Seems like a longshot to put it mildly. From David Kaplan of CSNChicago.com:
Rosemont mayor Brad Stephens told me this morning in a CSNChicago exclusive that he is willing to give the Cubs and the Ricketts family a 25-acre parcel of land in the village that is a prime piece of real estate large enough to accommodate a new ballpark as well as parking and anything else the Ricketts family would desire to have as a part of the new complex.
Kaplan talks to Mayor Stephens, who spends more time talking smack about the difficulties the Cubs are having with the city of Chicago as he does the viability of the Cubs moving out to Rosemont, which is next to O’Hare Airport. Actually, he spends no time talking about the viability of it apart from saying that Rosemont is “pro-business,” which it is based on how many corporations and offices and things are out there. It’s worth noting also that Rosemont, home of Allstate Area (formerly the Rosemont Horizon) is pretty pro-sports too.
For their part, the Cubs issued a statement saying that they’re interested in working something out with Chicago. Not in the statement: how nice it is, all the same, to have some suburban mayor making offers like this for purposes of leverage-creation.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 85
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)