Mar 18, 2013, 4:30 PM EDT
This is something that, had it happened in the 80s or even the 90s, might have gained some traction. But now? Seems like a longshot to put it mildly. From David Kaplan of CSNChicago.com:
Rosemont mayor Brad Stephens told me this morning in a CSNChicago exclusive that he is willing to give the Cubs and the Ricketts family a 25-acre parcel of land in the village that is a prime piece of real estate large enough to accommodate a new ballpark as well as parking and anything else the Ricketts family would desire to have as a part of the new complex.
Kaplan talks to Mayor Stephens, who spends more time talking smack about the difficulties the Cubs are having with the city of Chicago as he does the viability of the Cubs moving out to Rosemont, which is next to O’Hare Airport. Actually, he spends no time talking about the viability of it apart from saying that Rosemont is “pro-business,” which it is based on how many corporations and offices and things are out there. It’s worth noting also that Rosemont, home of Allstate Area (formerly the Rosemont Horizon) is pretty pro-sports too.
For their part, the Cubs issued a statement saying that they’re interested in working something out with Chicago. Not in the statement: how nice it is, all the same, to have some suburban mayor making offers like this for purposes of leverage-creation.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 2
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 20
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)