Mar 18, 2013, 7:15 PM EDT
The Cubs have been aiming for right-hander Scott Baker to join their rotation at some point in April, but after a bumpy Cactus League debut yesterday, he’s now being sent for an MRI on his surgically-repaired right elbow.
Baker, who is currently working his way back from Tommy John surgery, gave up three hits — including a three-run homer to Chris Young — and two walks while retiring only one batter yesterday against the Athletics. He woke up this morning with some soreness in the elbow, so Cubs manager Dale Sveum told MLB.com’s Carrie Muskat they just want to rule out anything serious.
“He came in today kind of sore in the [elbow] so we’re going to do an MRI today,” Cubs manager Dale Sveum said Monday. “[Tuesday] morning, he could come in with no symptoms at all, and it [could've been] normal type feeling that other people get who didn’t have Tommy John surgery.”
Baker, 31, joined the Cubs over the winter on a one-year, $5.5 million deal and could make an additional $1.5 million with incentives. With Matt Garza also DL-bound to begin the season, the Cubs are set to go with Jeff Samardzija, Edwin Jackson, Scott Feldman, Travis Wood and Carlos Villanueva in their starting rotation.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (182)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)