Mar 18, 2013, 7:15 PM EST
The Cubs have been aiming for right-hander Scott Baker to join their rotation at some point in April, but after a bumpy Cactus League debut yesterday, he’s now being sent for an MRI on his surgically-repaired right elbow.
Baker, who is currently working his way back from Tommy John surgery, gave up three hits — including a three-run homer to Chris Young — and two walks while retiring only one batter yesterday against the Athletics. He woke up this morning with some soreness in the elbow, so Cubs manager Dale Sveum told MLB.com’s Carrie Muskat they just want to rule out anything serious.
“He came in today kind of sore in the [elbow] so we’re going to do an MRI today,” Cubs manager Dale Sveum said Monday. “[Tuesday] morning, he could come in with no symptoms at all, and it [could’ve been] normal type feeling that other people get who didn’t have Tommy John surgery.”
Baker, 31, joined the Cubs over the winter on a one-year, $5.5 million deal and could make an additional $1.5 million with incentives. With Matt Garza also DL-bound to begin the season, the Cubs are set to go with Jeff Samardzija, Edwin Jackson, Scott Feldman, Travis Wood and Carlos Villanueva in their starting rotation.
- Report: Cuban infielder Hector Olivera could have damaged ulnar collateral ligament 1
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 12
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 10
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 142
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 372
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (372)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (142)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)