Mar 18, 2013, 7:15 PM EDT
The Cubs have been aiming for right-hander Scott Baker to join their rotation at some point in April, but after a bumpy Cactus League debut yesterday, he’s now being sent for an MRI on his surgically-repaired right elbow.
Baker, who is currently working his way back from Tommy John surgery, gave up three hits — including a three-run homer to Chris Young — and two walks while retiring only one batter yesterday against the Athletics. He woke up this morning with some soreness in the elbow, so Cubs manager Dale Sveum told MLB.com’s Carrie Muskat they just want to rule out anything serious.
“He came in today kind of sore in the [elbow] so we’re going to do an MRI today,” Cubs manager Dale Sveum said Monday. “[Tuesday] morning, he could come in with no symptoms at all, and it [could’ve been] normal type feeling that other people get who didn’t have Tommy John surgery.”
Baker, 31, joined the Cubs over the winter on a one-year, $5.5 million deal and could make an additional $1.5 million with incentives. With Matt Garza also DL-bound to begin the season, the Cubs are set to go with Jeff Samardzija, Edwin Jackson, Scott Feldman, Travis Wood and Carlos Villanueva in their starting rotation.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 315
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 55
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 39
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (328)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (159)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)