Mar 19, 2013, 3:51 PM EDT
Cedeno, who has eight seasons and nearly 2,500 plate appearances of experience, was released today despite signing a one-year, $1.15 million contract in January.
Considering the Cardinals’ need for middle infield help following Furcal’s season-ending elbow surgery and the money they agreed to pay Cedeno less than two months ago they must really, really have thought he looked terrible in camp. And yet he hit .290 with a .791 OPS in 16 spring training games.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17