Mar 19, 2013, 3:51 PM EDT
Cedeno, who has eight seasons and nearly 2,500 plate appearances of experience, was released today despite signing a one-year, $1.15 million contract in January.
Considering the Cardinals’ need for middle infield help following Furcal’s season-ending elbow surgery and the money they agreed to pay Cedeno less than two months ago they must really, really have thought he looked terrible in camp. And yet he hit .290 with a .791 OPS in 16 spring training games.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 36
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 30
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (104)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)