Mar 19, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
It’s no secret that T.J. Simers grinds my gears. He probably likes that, as grinding people’s gears is his thing. But no amount of nonsense from a sportswriter will ever make me want to see harm befall him, so I was sad to see that Simers had a ministroke over the weekend. And happy to see that, a few days later, he’s back writing his column.
And it’s a good column. In it he notes that when the stroke hit he was in his Phoenix hotel room and called to Camelback Ranch to tell colleagues and Dodgers people that he wouldn’t be at the ballpark. Dodgers’ trainer Sue Falsone got on the phone with him and helped diagnose the stroke (which it appears Simers didn’t immediately recognize as such) and then dispatched assistant trainer Aaron Schumacher to his hotel to take him to the hospital. Great play, Dodgers.
Simers has since been treated and released and seems OK. We know he’s OK because in the column he takes his usual shots at Mike Scioscia, Joe Blanton, Dwight Howard, Hank Conger, Marriott Hotels, his wife and others. Which, even though a lot of us don’t care for his schtick, is good to see. I mean, if Simers came out with some “this brush with mortality has made me rethink my approach; henceforth I shall be nicer to sports figures” thing it would be seriously time to worry. And frankly, I don’t think I’d ever read Simers again if he did that. Rage against the dying of the light and such. Be yourself until the end. That’s the only way to really be.
Anyway: good to see he’s OK. Get will soon, T.J. I need you to write some totally unfair, cheap shot column about Adrain Gonzalez or Zack Greinke or someone so I can criticize it. That’s how this is all supposed to work.
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 0
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 1
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 22
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 23
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (96)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)