Mar 19, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
It’s no secret that T.J. Simers grinds my gears. He probably likes that, as grinding people’s gears is his thing. But no amount of nonsense from a sportswriter will ever make me want to see harm befall him, so I was sad to see that Simers had a ministroke over the weekend. And happy to see that, a few days later, he’s back writing his column.
And it’s a good column. In it he notes that when the stroke hit he was in his Phoenix hotel room and called to Camelback Ranch to tell colleagues and Dodgers people that he wouldn’t be at the ballpark. Dodgers’ trainer Sue Falsone got on the phone with him and helped diagnose the stroke (which it appears Simers didn’t immediately recognize as such) and then dispatched assistant trainer Aaron Schumacher to his hotel to take him to the hospital. Great play, Dodgers.
Simers has since been treated and released and seems OK. We know he’s OK because in the column he takes his usual shots at Mike Scioscia, Joe Blanton, Dwight Howard, Hank Conger, Marriott Hotels, his wife and others. Which, even though a lot of us don’t care for his schtick, is good to see. I mean, if Simers came out with some “this brush with mortality has made me rethink my approach; henceforth I shall be nicer to sports figures” thing it would be seriously time to worry. And frankly, I don’t think I’d ever read Simers again if he did that. Rage against the dying of the light and such. Be yourself until the end. That’s the only way to really be.
Anyway: good to see he’s OK. Get will soon, T.J. I need you to write some totally unfair, cheap shot column about Adrain Gonzalez or Zack Greinke or someone so I can criticize it. That’s how this is all supposed to work.
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 27
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 57
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 32
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)