Mar 19, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
It’s no secret that T.J. Simers grinds my gears. He probably likes that, as grinding people’s gears is his thing. But no amount of nonsense from a sportswriter will ever make me want to see harm befall him, so I was sad to see that Simers had a ministroke over the weekend. And happy to see that, a few days later, he’s back writing his column.
And it’s a good column. In it he notes that when the stroke hit he was in his Phoenix hotel room and called to Camelback Ranch to tell colleagues and Dodgers people that he wouldn’t be at the ballpark. Dodgers’ trainer Sue Falsone got on the phone with him and helped diagnose the stroke (which it appears Simers didn’t immediately recognize as such) and then dispatched assistant trainer Aaron Schumacher to his hotel to take him to the hospital. Great play, Dodgers.
Simers has since been treated and released and seems OK. We know he’s OK because in the column he takes his usual shots at Mike Scioscia, Joe Blanton, Dwight Howard, Hank Conger, Marriott Hotels, his wife and others. Which, even though a lot of us don’t care for his schtick, is good to see. I mean, if Simers came out with some “this brush with mortality has made me rethink my approach; henceforth I shall be nicer to sports figures” thing it would be seriously time to worry. And frankly, I don’t think I’d ever read Simers again if he did that. Rage against the dying of the light and such. Be yourself until the end. That’s the only way to really be.
Anyway: good to see he’s OK. Get will soon, T.J. I need you to write some totally unfair, cheap shot column about Adrain Gonzalez or Zack Greinke or someone so I can criticize it. That’s how this is all supposed to work.
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 0
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 11
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 96
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 55
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (96)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)