Dodgers training staff comes to T.J. Simers’ aid after he has a ministroke

Mar 19, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT

Simers

It’s no secret that T.J. Simers grinds my gears. He probably likes that, as grinding people’s gears is his thing. But no amount of nonsense from a sportswriter will ever make me want to see harm befall him, so I was sad to see that Simers had a ministroke over the weekend. And happy to see that, a few days later, he’s back writing his column.

And it’s a good column. In it he notes that when the stroke hit he was in his Phoenix hotel room and called to Camelback Ranch to tell colleagues and Dodgers people that he wouldn’t be at the ballpark. Dodgers’ trainer Sue Falsone got on the phone with him and helped diagnose the stroke (which it appears Simers didn’t immediately recognize as such) and then dispatched assistant trainer Aaron Schumacher to his hotel to take him to the hospital. Great play, Dodgers.

Simers has since been treated and released and seems OK. We know he’s OK because in the column he takes his usual shots at Mike Scioscia, Joe Blanton, Dwight Howard, Hank Conger, Marriott Hotels, his wife and others. Which, even though a lot of us don’t care for his schtick, is good to see. I mean, if Simers came out with some “this brush with mortality has made me rethink my approach; henceforth I shall be nicer to sports figures” thing it would be seriously time to worry. And frankly, I don’t think I’d ever read Simers again if he did that. Rage against the dying of the light and such. Be yourself until the end. That’s the only way to really be.

Anyway: good to see he’s OK. Get will soon, T.J. I need you to write some totally unfair, cheap shot column about Adrain Gonzalez or Zack Greinke or someone so I can criticize it. That’s how this is all supposed to work.

1. Roger Moore - Mar 19, 2013 at 11:19 AM

OTOH, if he said, “This brush with morality has made me realize it’s time to retire to spend more time enjoying the finer things in life” I think everyone would be happy.

2. hojo20 - Mar 19, 2013 at 11:20 AM

I enjoy TJ Simers columns, he’s objective. If I wanted cheerleading and non-critical reporting, I’d watch ESPN, which I don’t.

• pauleee - Mar 19, 2013 at 12:11 PM

…that word, I do not think it means what you think it means.

As much as I dislike the man (and his columns), get well soon.

• cur68 - Mar 19, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Yeah. This^^

3. bluesnats - Mar 19, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Sue Falsone sounds like an extraordinary person.

4. 12strikes - Mar 19, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Huh.. Wait… you tell me he wrote all those columns on a healthy brain?

5. JB (the original) - Mar 19, 2013 at 2:18 PM

I thought Seth McFarlane had TMed “grinds my gears”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkK0z2ALU_4 “clean”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGjwMMlUhCQ NSFW

6. deathmonkey41 - Mar 19, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Big deal- if the Red Sox training staff helped him, he’d be putting up 52 HRs this year.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4934)