Mar 19, 2013, 12:22 AM EDT
The championship game for the 2013 World Baseball Classic is set.
The Dominican Republic defeated the Netherlands by the score of 4-1 this evening at AT&T Park in San Francisco and will advance to face Puerto Rico in the WBC finals tomorrow night at 8 p.m. ET. Samuel Deduno is slated to start for the Dominicans while Giancarlo Alvarado will pitch for Puerto Rico.
The Netherlands grabbed the early lead in this one without the benefit of a hit. Edinson Volquez struggled with his control in the first inning by walking Andrelton Simmons and Jurickson Profar to begin the ballgame. Simmons eventually came around to score on a ground out by Wladimir Balentien. However, they couldn’t get anything else going for the rest of the night, collecting just four hits.
Dutch starter Diegomar Markwell offered very little in the way of velocity, but he actually held the Dominicans off the board until the bottom of the fifth inning when Moises Sierra doubled home Carlos Santana to tie things up. After Alejandro De Aza was retired on a ground out, Jose Reyes delivered a go-ahead RBI single. He later scored the third run of the inning when Tom Stuifbergen replaced Markwell and immediately uncorked a wild pitch. Edwin Encarnacion then capped the rally with an RBI single, driving home Miguel Tejada.
And that was all the offense the Dominican Republic would need. Their dominant bullpen took over from there, as Kelvin Herrera, Pedro Strop and Fernando “Rally Plantain” Rodney combined for four innings of scoreless relief to finish off the victory.
The Dominican Republic squad is now a perfect 7-0 in in the 2013 World Baseball Classic and can run the table with a win tomorrow night. They have already defeated Puerto Rico twice in this year’s tournament.
Apr 28, 2015, 2:49 PM EDT
This will give the O’s four straight days off followed by a nine-game road trip.
Apr 28, 2015, 1:42 PM EDT
The former All-Star and former prospect is back in the bush leagues.
Apr 28, 2015, 1:21 PM EDT
Howie Kendrick Lamar.
Apr 28, 2015, 12:32 PM EDT
Awful news for one of baseball’s toughest customers.
Apr 28, 2015, 12:16 PM EDT
Crawford may be joining Yasiel Puig on the shelf.
Apr 28, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT
Turning back into a pumpkin?
Apr 28, 2015, 11:36 AM EDT
Baseball takes a back seat as unrest continues in Baltimore.
Apr 28, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT
CSNBaltimore.com’s Orioles beat reporter Rich Dubroff on his experience Monday night.
Apr 28, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
Returning to Houston as a free agent on a three-year, $23 million contract, Lowrie is off to a very strong start.
Apr 28, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
The fan was taken from Wrigley Field in an ambulance.
Apr 28, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
In calling up Cole for his debut the Nationals bypassed Tanner Roark.
Apr 28, 2015, 9:31 AM EDT
They’re right not to be.
Apr 28, 2015, 8:59 AM EDT
Note to Nori Aoki: if the ball is heading to center field against the Dodgers, you want to get back to the bag more quickly.
Apr 28, 2015, 7:21 AM EDT
The Mets continue to be Amazin’.
Apr 28, 2015, 12:17 AM EDT
Jose Reyes has been trying to play through a small crack in his left rib, but he’ll now get an extended absence.
Apr 27, 2015, 11:01 PM EDT
The Mets are now 15-5 on the young season and already hold an eight-game lead over the Nationals in the National League East.
Apr 27, 2015, 10:03 PM EDT
The Nationals mapped out a plan that could have had Rendon make his season debut as soon as Thursday against the Mets, but that’s on hold for now.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:04 PM EDT
The Diamondbacks are reportedly among the potential landing spots for Saltalamacchia.
Apr 27, 2015, 8:10 PM EDT
Bailey is coming off flexor tendon surgery. Could Tommy John surgery be next?
Apr 27, 2015, 7:24 PM EDT
McCarthy appears headed for season-ending Tommy John surgery.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 113
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 155
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 22
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 52
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (170)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (155)