Great Moments in Customer Service: The Marlins threaten to sue longtime season ticket holders

Mar 19, 2013, 2:31 PM EDT

Marlins Miami new logo

The Miami New Times reports the latest in Jeff Loria’s apparent plot to alienate every single person on the planet: suing the team’s fans when they have the audacity to complain about something.

The upshot: Bill and Jan Leon have been Marlins season ticket holders since 1998. Last year they moved with the team to the new park and entered into a two-year agreement for tickets, covering 2012 and 2013. They say their season ticket agreement allows them to move their seats if they didn’t like the location after the first year in the new ballpark. They didn’t like it because, after they checked out their seats and entered into the agreement, the Marlins put up a billboard and padding that obscured their view.  So the Leons said they didn’t want those seats anymore. They wanted to be moved further down the third base line.

They got no response from the team and their request to be moved went unanswered, they say. So they gave an ultimatum: move them to a different pair of seats or they wouldn’t pay for the second season.  Then they got a letter dated March 8 which demanded that they pay for the seats or else the team would sue them. There’s a scanned copy of the letter in the linked article.

The Marlins at this point have, what, a few hundred season ticket holders? And how many with the tenure of the Leons? Tell me: does anyone in the Marlins place NOT try to accommodate these people? Does anyone in their right mind threaten them with a lawsuit?  Even if the Leons are blowing smoke and this is really some ploy to get out from under their season ticket agreement, is this the best way to handle it? Or does one in the Marlins’ place instead call their bluff, see if they’re still unwilling to pay and then proceed to collection via less obnoxious means?

What in the hell is wrong with that team?

(link via CBS Sports.com)

1. sabatimus - Mar 19, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Hahahahahahaahaa wow. Jeff Loria: the gift that keeps on giving.

• Kleinz 57 - Mar 19, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Jeff Loria: For when Vince Naimoli isn’t around to take your pretzels away

• Old Gator - Mar 19, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Sabatimus: don’t you mean the grift that keeps on taking?

• sabatimus - Mar 19, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Sorry, my bad. Dumb spellcheck ;p

2. brewcrewfan54 - Mar 19, 2013 at 2:40 PM

The next time the Marlins do something with class will be the first time.

• Old Gator - Mar 19, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Huh? Aren’t you forgetting the tribute to Muhammad Ali on opening day last season?

3. kevinleaptrot - Mar 19, 2013 at 2:41 PM

I’ll always have a place in my heart for Jeff Loria, because we wouldn’t have the Washington Nationals if it weren’t for his tenure as owner of the Montreal Expos, but this guy has become Major League Baseball’s version of Dan Snyder. Can’t someone in the MLB offices get a muzzle on this ass clown?

• paperlions - Mar 19, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Man, you just insulted Dan Snyder. That’s a tall order, congrats.

• jwbiii - Mar 19, 2013 at 3:20 PM

No, suing season ticket holders is exactly what Dan Snyder does.

• paperlions - Mar 19, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Wow, talk about being an asshole….I stand corrected.

• xmatt0926x - Mar 19, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Whoaa. Dan Snyder may be a boob who has tried to buy his way to championships over the years and made many mistakes as an owner of the Redskins, but that’s a lot different from just being a very bad human, which is what Loria is. I’m not a Skins fan at all but come on. Nobody deserves to be compared to Jeff Loria.

• paperlions - Mar 19, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Did you read the linked to story? The Redskins treatment of fans who have financial problems is reprehensible.

• xmatt0926x - Mar 19, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Oops……. Nevermind.

• paperlions - Mar 19, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Haha….I guess you did.

• hardballtalkusername - Mar 19, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Wow jwbill, thanks for posting that article. What a complete douchebag Snyder is, especially since the Redskins could easily re-sell those tickets.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 19, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Don’t forget the time that Dan Snyder sued the Washington City Paper for printing truths about Dan Snyder. Deadspin had a few articles on it:

• uwsptke - Mar 19, 2013 at 3:17 PM

I dislike Dan Snyder, who is a shyster in his own right, but I almost felt bad for him being compared to Loria.

Almost.

• pbastille - Mar 19, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Sorry, Snyder’s pretty darn close:

4. randygnyc - Mar 19, 2013 at 2:42 PM

I can’t help but hope that one day soon, late at night, after everyone is gone for the night, that an empty Marlins park burns down to the ground. Maybe loris will sell then.

• Old Gator - Mar 19, 2013 at 2:58 PM

You know, you just reminded me of the castle-burning scene at the end of Akira Kurosawa’s masterpiece, Ran. They built this entire wooden and bamboo castle for the film and then had to get the shot of Lord Hidetora staggering in a daze out of his burning castle on the first take, ’cause they weren’t gonna be able to build it again. I can see a scorched and frizzled Scrooge McLoria, as Hidetora, wandering out of his burning stadium with a glazed look in his eyes – you know, like the one he wore every time Heath Bell coughed up another lead last season – as the whole thing implodes around him.

Nice mnemonic assist there, randyg.

• snowbirdgothic - Mar 19, 2013 at 4:33 PM

I look forward to the firing squad of archers that adds the final touch of verisimilitude to this scenario.

5. thebadguyswon - Mar 19, 2013 at 2:44 PM

The question is how long will Selig allow this to continue. Jeff Loria belongs in prison, not in MLB.

• Old Gator - Mar 19, 2013 at 3:03 PM

At the taxpayer’s expense – again????

Not to put too fine a point on it, but…fuck you.

Tell you what I would spring for, though – set up some stocks in front of Macondo Banana Massacre field and lock him and the Chihuahua in them and let us throw rotten tomatoes and peanut shells at them for a few weeks, then hang him a la Quasimodo from a gumbo limbo tree with a rope under his armpits, stick a deer head on him, push him till he swings back and forth and then we can all ride past in our Minis and swat his nates with a riding crop.

Then we could…unnnggghhhh….uhnnnn…huh? Wha….hey, what a strange dream I was having….

• hep3 - Mar 19, 2013 at 5:36 PM

I hear that since Frankie McCourt made a tidy little profit selling that team out west that he is looking to move to Florida. I don’t think he has any houses there. The money he spent on dinners and private planes would be more that Loria spends now. Plus Selig gets apoplexy. Win-win.

6. eugenesaxe - Mar 19, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Congrats to Donald Stirling for losing his place atop the “Worst Owners in Pro Sports” list.

• aiede - Mar 19, 2013 at 4:02 PM

William Clay Ford, Sr. has an emeritus title here.

7. btwicey - Mar 19, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Bahahahaha. What an absolute joke!! Poor Giancarlo

• Old Gator - Mar 19, 2013 at 3:07 PM

I was just thinking that.

Free the Iron Giant!

8. winkeroni - Mar 19, 2013 at 2:50 PM

I’ve not mastered these internets but I can’t find the scanned copy of the letter on the CBS page.

• winkeroni - Mar 19, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Never mind, found it. It’s the other link.

9. johnstjc - Mar 19, 2013 at 2:54 PM

wow…how bad is that ownership

10. unlost1 - Mar 19, 2013 at 2:55 PM

best story of the year
    and a definite case for insanity

11. johnstjc - Mar 19, 2013 at 2:55 PM

even if they were trying to weasel out of their season ticket purchase i would side with them…personally…i have no idea about the law side of it

12. indaburg - Mar 19, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Is this Act Like a Dick Day? Josh Lueke’s apologist, Selig cutting MLB pensions, the Marlins refusing to change seats and suing their own season tix holders?

Sheesh. I’m going back to bed.

• philliesblow - Mar 19, 2013 at 3:20 PM

“Is this Act Like a Dick Day?”

What inspiration. Last series of the season the Tigers play in Miami. Who’s in favor of Loria having to square to bunt a Verlander fastball? Owner HPBiD!

• philliesblow - Mar 19, 2013 at 3:21 PM

“Is this Act Like a Dick Day?”

What inspiration. Last series of the season the Tigers play in Miami. Who’s in favor of Loria having to square to bunt a Verlander fastball? Owner HBPiD!

• philliesblow - Mar 19, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Sorry for the double post. Tried to edit HPBiD in the first and this is what I get.
        EDIT FUNCTION!

13. cur68 - Mar 19, 2013 at 3:00 PM

This move . . . I mean, is this really Loria or the system that Loria oversees? How much can Jeffy be blamed for this? There is no doubt in my mind that he doesn’t want this kind of press, so I have a hard time seeing this a Loria sanctioned move but rather the move of some soulless FO suit who THINKS the boss wants this.

Prediction: The Feesh recant this one and the nice people get their seats moved. But, if Loria comes out in favour of this lawsuit . . . what tin-eared, soulless ass.

• Old Gator - Mar 19, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Can we get odds on this at Paradise Island?

• cur68 - Mar 19, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Jees, man, I dunno. I like to think the best of people and, yeah, this means even ascribing some common sense to a dude who destroyed the ballclub I grew up with, but I can’t see this going forward to a lawsuit. Loria might be fucking dirtbag, but he’s not stupid. It would be utterly stupid to sue one of the few season ticket holders this team has left over some better seats.

• johnstjc - Mar 19, 2013 at 3:06 PM

yep thats loria

• chadjones27 - Mar 19, 2013 at 3:15 PM

cur, I was thinking the same thing. I doubt it was Loria’s directive, but, I guess it’s easier to beat on the devil you know, then, well, actually wait to find out the facts.

• chadjones27 - Mar 19, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Read the article, and apparently the ticket office says they reached out to them to move their seat. My guess, and this is total conjecture, is that the ticket office didn’t give them the seats they wanted.
        Who knows. It’ll be interesting to see how this plays out. And by interesting, I mean, I’ll forget about this short after I hit, “post comment.”

14. DelawarePhilliesFan - Mar 19, 2013 at 3:14 PM

It’s worth click the link and readign the article. There are photos of the seats before and after – and to say the billboard obscures there view is…..well…..total B.S.

There are some otehr intersrtung thigns in there too

• chadjones27 - Mar 19, 2013 at 3:26 PM

I can see the fan’s point. It does look like, if one is sitting back in the seat, certain grounders could be hidden, but, to say this is an “obstructed view” is just nonsense. I’d be more upset that I couldn’t reach over to grab any grounders than worrying about an “obstructed view.”

15. realgone2 - Mar 19, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Loria reminds me of Ted Dibiase

• echech88 - Mar 19, 2013 at 4:19 PM

He definitely loves being a villain

16. xjokerz - Mar 19, 2013 at 3:54 PM

What a piece of crap

17. giantsninerswarriors - Mar 19, 2013 at 3:58 PM

The only thing that shocks me about this story is that someone would pay $25,000 to watch the Marlins.

I hope that, at some point, this organization pulls itself together. Marlins fans deserve better than Jeff Loria.

18. chill1184 - Mar 19, 2013 at 4:54 PM

“Man even I’m not that much of an asshole”

– Fred Wilpon

• thebadguyswon - Mar 19, 2013 at 5:34 PM

LOL…exactly. When you make Wilpon blush, you are a real POS.

19. giantssb42champs - Mar 19, 2013 at 6:41 PM

It’s just Loria being Loria.

20. ndrick731 - Mar 19, 2013 at 10:22 PM

If they have an agreement that states they can move after the first year if they are not happy and the team refuses to move them let the marlins sue. They can’t win and the family will have a counter suit for harassment.

• Old Gator - Mar 20, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Here’s hoping the fans win more than the major league minimum.

21. ermur22 - Mar 20, 2013 at 12:47 AM

EVERY season ticket holder should not pay for 2013….what’s he gonna do sue them all

22. janessa31888 - Mar 20, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Even this Indians fan, whose heart was crushed in 97, is outraged by the way these fans are being treated. The more I hear about this guy, the sicker I feel for you Miami fans. Ill never say anything bad about the Dolans again.

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline