Hank Aaron is on Twitter for some reason

Mar 19, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT

Hank Aaron AP AP

My first thought when I saw that Hank Aaron has joined Twitter: cool!

My second thought when I saw that Hank Aaron has joined Twitter: Um, why?

I dunno. It’s neat. But my dad asks me if he should join Twitter sometimes and I tell him I honestly can’t see the need. Same with Aaron. I’m sure he has people who can get his message out for him. And I’m sure he doesn’t want to sit up all night and retweet poop jokes.

I guess the real answer is to claim the space and/or to fend off hoaxes, fake death announcements and the like, all of which have happened with respect to Aaron in recent weeks.  Still: kinda weird.

1. ajcardsfan - Mar 19, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Honestly it was probably a move on behalf of Twitter, they’ve got a person that goes to verify accounts of celebrities and athletes and is always trying to recruit more.

2. Rich Stowe - Mar 19, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Yogi Berra’s on Twitter…so Aaron should be…though I’m with you – not exactly sure what his tweets will be about…

here’s hoping it’s a constant ripping of Bonds not being the HR king

3. sleepyirv - Mar 19, 2013 at 1:51 PM

If Hank Aaron turns out to have a whimsical sense of humor that works well in 140 characters, this would pretty much justify twitter’s existence in my eyes.

4. xmatt0926x - Mar 19, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Does he know what he’s in for? What will be his reaction the first time he get’s “hey dude, you suck!” as a response to one of his tweets? I don’t know. I may be somewhat young still, but when it comes to everyone being in constant contact in todays world I say “get the bleep off my lawn!!”. I just don’t get the need to express every thought I have or hear others every thought.

• davidly - Mar 19, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Speaking of expressing every thought… you realize you just commented on Hank Aaron having a Twitter account?

5. sabatimus - Mar 19, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Good! Now we can throw him under the bus for using amphetamines!

6. davidly - Mar 19, 2013 at 3:00 PM

I dunno. If this is about the absurd superfluousness of Twitter, then I getcha. But if it’s more of a “poor ol’ gramps doesn’t know any better” kind of thing, then I say, watch who you talkin’ about there, sport.

7. gza385 - Mar 19, 2013 at 6:14 PM

How long before we see Hank Aaron doing the “Harlem Shake”?

8. hushbrother - Mar 20, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Considering all the tough times he went through during his home run chase, receiving death threats and racist taunts and the like, it’s a good sign that Aaron is willing to be on Twitter, where any random nut can send him similar nasty messages. Hopefully the Twitterverse will be kind and respectful to him.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate