It’s probably good that Colby Rasmus isn’t on the Cardinals anymore

Mar 19, 2013, 5:41 PM EDT

Colby Rasmus

Yesterday we linked to Cardinals manager Mike Matheny’s blog, which is focused on bringing sanity to youth sports. Today there is a story in the Globe and Mail about former Cardinal and current Blue Jay, Colby Rasmus. Something tells me that Matheny and Rasmus’ old man would not have gotten along:

The son of Tony, a hard-driving baseball coach, Rasmus talks about his father asking him as a 10-year-old if he wanted to make the big leagues, about being forced to drink protein shakes, about getting a “whuppin’” if he poured them out.

Not that anyone else gets along with Rasmus’ dad, but that’s probably another topic.

1. shawnuel - Mar 19, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Baseball’s version of the Marinovich’s?

2. asimonetti88 - Mar 19, 2013 at 5:57 PM

not a bad comparison, although I think Colby has been more successful at his craft than Marinovich. Who knows though, maybe Rasmus will be homeless living under the Newport Beach Pier in 15 years too.

• jarathen - Mar 20, 2013 at 7:05 AM

Well, there’s always money in the banana stand.

3. proudlycanadian - Mar 19, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Leave Rasmus alone!

• Panda Claus - Mar 19, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Where’s the fun in that?

Think Rasmus’ dad is gonna cut the manager any slack if he disapproves of his son’s development path?

4. chacochicken - Mar 19, 2013 at 6:19 PM

A domineering father can be a life long problem. Perhaps AA can have Tony deported?

5. crankyfrankie - Mar 19, 2013 at 6:22 PM

I think that anyone , before they have children, should have to either coach little league in some sport. When you see the worst behavior that sports can bring out in parents you tend not to do it yourself.

• bmh9500 - Mar 20, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Refereeing would work, too.

6. tfbuckfutter - Mar 19, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Maybe he should have beat him for posting sub-.300 OBPs….

Maybe then he would be better at baseball.

• chumthumper - Mar 19, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Floggings will continue until morale improves.

7. paperlions - Mar 19, 2013 at 6:47 PM

I get the feeling that Rasmus doesn’t even enjoy playing baseball. I can understand why.

• tfbuckfutter - Mar 19, 2013 at 7:45 PM

I don’t enjoy playing basketball.

But it’s because I suck at it.

Was that your point?

8. redbirdfan81 - Mar 19, 2013 at 7:46 PM

I’m so glad that whiny little, inconsistent, prima donna isn’t on the team any more…nor Colby either!

9. wlschneider09 - Mar 19, 2013 at 8:21 PM

I think Rasmus will end up sitting against most lefties eventually (platoon with Bonifacio?). I’m curious to see if attitudes sour then.

10. 6stn - Mar 19, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Rasmus did help the Cardinals to the World Championship in 2011-when they got rid of him.

• ultimatecardinalwarrior - Mar 19, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Sad but true.

11. pillowporkers - Mar 19, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Definitely overboard there. I don’t think that’s what’s considered “normal” parental behavior. Then again, I’m not playing in the MLB like Colby Rasmus, and I’m not playing on the PGA like Tiger Woods. If it wasn’t for their insane dads, they probably wouldn’t be where they are today. Unfortunately for Colby, his dad didn’t know any good lefties or someone who could throw good curveballs to give him BP, though. Maybe then he could’ve been the star he was supposed to be.

• polonelmeagrejr - Mar 20, 2013 at 6:58 AM

People successful at certain pursuits seem almost without exception to have had bad relationships with their fathers. E.G. What do Jim Morrison, JImi Hendrix, Curt Cobain, Eminem and John Lennon have in common?

• jarathen - Mar 20, 2013 at 7:06 AM

All insufferable.

• paperlions - Mar 20, 2013 at 7:29 AM

Seriously?

I am willing to be a very high % of MLB players have great relationships with their fathers. It is actually a fairly small minority that have such destructive relationships, which is why they are noteworthy. If they were the norm, no one would pay attention to them.

12. sfm073 - Mar 20, 2013 at 3:22 AM

That passion and devotion his dad had clearly didn’t translate into Colby. He’s the most lethargic player I’ve seen since JD drew. In all honesty is dad has probably made him hate the sport and that’s why he hasn’t turned into the the player he is capable of being.

• ajcardsfan - Mar 20, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Hey two players I have complete disdain for in one post, well done. To be fair, I really don’t dislike Colby all that much, I just hated his attitude, and his father was most likely to blame for that. I won’t waste any more words on Drew.

13. lostsok - Mar 20, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Daddy issues. It’s a wonder he’s not a stripper.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto