Mar 19, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
Mark Sheldon of MLB.com has an update on Mark Prior’s latest comeback attempt with the Reds, which so far has involved a few relief appearances.
Prior told Sheldon that he’s fully healthy and generally pleased with his performance, but the most interesting part of the article is this quote from the former phenom about his life among minor leaguers in recent years:
Some of these guys were born in 1995. They were seven or eight years old when I broke in and I broke in young. I think it surprises people when I tell them I’m 32 because they think I should be older. Fortunately, or unfortunately depending on how you’re looking at it, I’ve been in extended [spring] and around a lot of minor league guys. They have enthusiasm for the game.
I’m on the back side of my career. They’re on the front side. You enjoy seeing their desire to play and their will to play. It’s refreshing. I can’t keep up with them necessarily running and stuff. They keep you having fun. They’re fun to hang out with. I’ve enjoyed my time in the minor leagues the last few years. I don’t want to be there, nobody wants to be there, but it’s a good bunch of guys.
Prior finished third in the Cy Young voting at age 22, but then saw what had the potential to be a Hall of Fame career ruined by injuries and hasn’t thrown a pitch in the majors since 2006. The fact that he’s still trying to make it back to the big leagues six years later and has such a good attitude about the struggles he’s gone through in the process is pretty remarkable.
Hard not to root for the guy.
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 54
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 48
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 27
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 43
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)