Mar 19, 2013, 4:31 PM EDT
A lot of spring training games are played with minor league-level umpire staffing. Specifically: three umpires. A home plate ump, one at first and one at third, with the third base ump moving to cover second when a runner is on base.
And if you lose one of the umpires due to injury? Well, you get this:
Here’s the view of the Angels and Brewers playing without a home plate umpire. twitter.com/AdamMcCalvy/st…
— Adam McCalvy (@AdamMcCalvy) March 19, 2013
Yep, that’s an umpire calling balls and strikes from behind the mound in today’s Brewers-Angels game in Maryvale after the home plate umpire was injured. Here’s what it looks like on TV.
You don’t see that every day.
Real games soon, please?
UPDATE: OK, apparently it only lasted for four batters, as a replacement up was called in. Shame, that. We used the mound ump in little league. You’d think the big boys could do it for a while.
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 5
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 37
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)