Red Sox hopeful that David Ortiz will be ready by mid-April

Mar 19, 2013, 1:01 PM EST

david ortiz getty Getty Images

Jon Heyman reports that the Red Sox are hopeful that David Ortiz will return in mid-April.

His issue — which has kept him from swinging a bat for eight days now — is pain in both Achilles heels. Who knows if that will hold, but at this point he Sox have nothing they can do besides hope. Because, really, it’s hard to see anything great happening for them if Ortiz misses significant time.

1. hitdog042 - Mar 19, 2013 at 1:43 PM

He doesn’t have Achilles heel Craig. He has inflammation. Achilles heel is dramatic weakness in the Achilles. That is not nor was it ever the case.

• psr179 - Mar 19, 2013 at 2:25 PM

What Craig said: “His issue — which has kept him from swinging a bat for eight days now — is pain in both Achilles heels.”

What you said: “He doesn’t have Achilles heel Craig.”

First off, he does have Achilles heels; two of them matter of fact. More importantly, in regards to your nitpicking, Craig simply said he was dealing with pain in both of his Achilles heels. Don’t you think that could be from inflammation? Red Sox fans are already getting defensive and angry at the media yet the season hasn’t even started.

2. tfbuckfutter - Mar 19, 2013 at 4:11 PM

I’m hopeful I have a growth spurt even though I’m 32 (it’d be nice to be 6′ tall) and that I start shitting golden coins.

I’m pretty sure I’m going to be as disappointed as the Red Sox.

3. hitdog042 - Mar 19, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Achilles heel is a medical term. Not a body part. Trust me. I should know. Achilles is part of the body. Heels are part of the body. Achilles heal is a medical term defined as weakness in the Achilles. Sorry to bust you out.

4. hitdog042 - Mar 19, 2013 at 4:28 PM

*heel. Not heal. iPhone.

5. hitdog042 - Mar 19, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Simply put. Ortiz doesn’t have Achilles heel. He has inflammation. His Achilles is not weak. In fact the problem isn’t even in his Achilles anymore. It’s the inflammation around it. On the other foot it’s simply caused by him favoring it. Now that that’s out of the way…

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester