Mar 19, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Around this time last year Rockies general manager Dan O’Dowd was publicly questioning Chacin’s offseason conditioning in Venezuela and then in May the right-hander was demoted to Triple-A only to be placed on the disabled list with a chest injury.
Chacin returned to the Rockies’ rotation four months later and finished strong, throwing 44 innings with a 2.84 ERA in nine August and September starts, although his 23/17 K/BB ratio during that time was hardly impressive.
With a 3.62 ERA in 67 career starts Chacin has been one of the most successful Rockies pitchers in recent memory, but his getting the Opening Day assignment after an up-and-down 2012 also speaks to the overall weakness of the current rotation.
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 5
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 92
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 13
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 55
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (92)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)